Getting Started for Newbies

reapers.revenge

Sep 29, 2021, 9:07:33 AM9/29/21
to pyo-discuss
Hello! I am trying to use this software for a class project by using it to edit audio from class but I am having trouble installing it and starting it up. I have python installed and pip too but for some reason it says I have not installed it. Can someone give me a quick rundown of getting it installed and what commands or things I need to do to get started. (yes i have all ready looked online in Github and their website too) thank you for any help!

dennis

Oct 7, 2021, 4:34:20 PM10/7/21
to pyo-discuss
Hi

Have you activated your virtual environment before installing trying to install Pyo ? If you don't know what I mean, I suggest you to read this doc https://packaging.python.org/guides/installing-using-pip-and-virtual-environments/ . When you set up a virtual environment it's much more easy to work with Python and the many librairies availbale, it's also safer for your system. Once you have set it up, you just have to activate it and install Pyo with pip as in this link: http://ajaxsoundstudio.com/pyodoc/download.html . After that you can launch your Python IDE while the VE activated, after your session is finished you just have to deactivate it. I found weird to work like that at the beginning but it's not complicated, plus like that it's easier to control the Python versions your working with.

Olivier Bélanger

Oct 10, 2021, 10:23:18 AM10/10/21
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Simplest way to get started:

Windows:

1- Open a Command Prompt
2- Make sure pyo and wxPython are installed
    py -3 -m pip install pyo wxPython
3- Start the python interpreter
    py -3
4- Then, enter these lines:
    from pyo import *
    s = Server().boot()
    a = Sine(mul=0.3).out()
    s.start()

You should hear the sine wave!

MacOS:

1- Open a terminal
2- Make sure pyo and wxPython are installed
    python3 -m pip install pyo wxPython
3- Start the python interpreter
    python3

4- Then, enter these lines:
    from pyo import *
    s = Server().boot()
    a = Sine(mul=0.3).out()
    s.start()

You should hear the sine wave!

Olivier

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 9:07 AM reapers.revenge <reapers.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello! I am trying to use this software for a class project by using it to edit audio from class but I am having trouble installing it and starting it up. I have python installed and pip too but for some reason it says I have not installed it. Can someone give me a quick rundown of getting it installed and what commands or things I need to do to get started. (yes i have all ready looked online in Github and their website too) thank you for any help!

Philippe Caillot

Feb 11, 2022, 1:09:07 PM2/11/22
to pyo-discuss
Hi,

I try to install pyo on windows 10. (python38).

pyo and wxPython are installed:

Requirement already satisfied: pyo in c:\users\musique\appdata\roaming\python\python38\site-packages (1.0.4)
Requirement already satisfied: wxPython in c:\users\musique\appdata\roaming\python\python38\site-packages (4.1.1)
Requirement already satisfied: pillow in c:\users\musique\appdata\roaming\python\python38\site-packages (from wxPython) (9.0.1)
Requirement already satisfied: numpy in c:\users\musique\appdata\roaming\python\python38\site-packages (from wxPython) (1.22.2)
Requirement already satisfied: six in c:\users\musique\appdata\roaming\python\python38\site-packages (from wxPython) (1.16.0)

but when I enter   from pyo import *
I get :

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\Musique\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\pyo\__init__.py", line 27, in <module>
    from .lib import analysis as analysis
  File "C:\Users\Musique\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\pyo\lib\analysis.py", line 32, in <module>
    from ._core import *
  File "C:\Users\Musique\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\pyo\lib\_core.py", line 66, in <module>
    from .._pyo import *
ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _pyo: Le module spécifié est introuvable.

thnk you for your answer.

Philippe

Olivier Bélanger

Feb 11, 2022, 1:52:59 PM2/11/22
to pyo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

How do you run your python command (command prompt, ide)? Are you sure you're running the same python as the one where you installed pyo?

If _pyo dll file is not under that path

C:\Users\Musique\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\pyo

something went wrong at the installation. Have you tried uninstall/install, or just running pip with the flag --force-reinstall?

Olivier

Philippe Caillot

Feb 13, 2022, 1:25:34 PM2/13/22
to pyo-discuss
Hi,

Thank you very much for your answer,

The dll were in the wrong path, (I don't know why).  I just copy them in C:\Users\Musique\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python38\site-packages\pyo
And all seems now in order.

all the best,

Philippe