[ANNOUNCEMENT] PyNE Release 0.7.0

Paul Wilson

Aug 19, 2020, 11:22:29 PM8/19/20
to PyNE Dev, pyne-...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone

We are thrilled to announce a new release of PyNE - v 0.7.0, following a 10 day sprint that includes contributions from 12 developers from 5 institutions in 3 countries.

While there is a long list of changes (very, very long list!!!) that can be reviewed in the release notes, it is important to note that full support for Python 2 has been deprecated with this release.  Many capabilities may continue to function in Python 2.7, but there is no longer testing in Python 2 and therefore no guarantees.  Another subtle change is that we have finally adopted newer estimates of atomic masses.  This is sure to change many calculations of material compositions, but hopefully only in the 7th digit or so - you may notice it in any testing you do in your own tools that depend on PyNE.

At the same time, we have revamped the scripts and dockerfiles in the install_scripts repo, with support for Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 20.04.  There is also more robust support for installation via conda in the conda-forge channel.

Initial updates to the website will be completed this week, but there is ample room for continuous improvement of PyNE's documentation.

We hope to be able to manage a more frequent release schedule going forward, in part thanks to the infrastructure improvements from the last 10 days.  If you are interested in collaborating, feel free to review open issues and/or reach out to previous developers for assistance.

Warm regards from your August 2020 hack-a-thon team!