Installing pyne Anaconda

Borella Alessandro

Nov 6, 2020, 3:43:01 PM11/6/20
to pyne...@googlegroups.com

Good morning,

I do not manage to install pyne by following the instructions provided in

https://pyne.io/install/conda.html#conda

It seems however that only versions for linux and mac are available:

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/pyne

am I correct?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Best,

Alessandro

Alessandro Borella

Senior Researcher – Nuclear Safeguards

+32 14 33 28 44

-

Belgian Nuclear Research Centre

Boeretang 200 - 2400 Mol – Belgium

www.sckcen.be

Paul Wilson

Nov 6, 2020, 3:44:23 PM11/6/20
to pyne...@googlegroups.com, Borella Alessandro

Hello Alessandro,

It's true that we only support linux and mac at the moment.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried to install PyNE under Windows Subsystem for Linux?

Paul

--

---
-- ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ --

Computational Nuclear Engineering Research Group

Alex Malins

Nov 9, 2020, 8:29:35 AM11/9/20
to pyne...@googlegroups.com, Borella Alessandro
Yes, you can install and run PyNE on Windows under the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

A quick guide is:
2. Install Ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04 from the Microsoft Store (it's free)
3. Update Ubuntu packages using "sudo apt update" then "sudo apt upgrade"
4. Download the PyNE source code from https://github.com/pyne/pyne/releases/ (latest version is currently 0.7.3)
5. Copy the source code package into a directory in your Ubuntu WSL using cp (the source directory will probably be /mnt/c/... wherever you downloaded the source package to)
6. Unpack the source code
7. Build and install PyNE from source using the ubuntu.sh install script that is located here: https://github.com/pyne/install_scripts/

If you get any errors, you may need to install some other Ubuntu packages using "sudo apt install". Search the available packages here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/

Alex Malins

Nov 9, 2020, 11:36:55 AM11/9/20
to Borella Alessandro, pyne...@googlegroups.com
Alessandro,

That is unfortunate - WSL really is very good. Maybe you could look at another virtual machine option? Or if your IT department allows full Linux installations?

Best wishes,
Alex

2020年11月9日(月) 23:07 Borella Alessandro <alessandr...@sckcen.be>:

Thanks for the info Alex,

unfortunately I can’t have WSL on my corporate PC.

Best regards,

Alessandro

image001.png
image002.png

Borella Alessandro

Nov 9, 2020, 11:36:56 AM11/9/20
to Paul Wilson, pyne...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Paul for the feedback.

Unfortunately I can only run python under windows.

Hopefully this will be available in the future.

Best regards,

Alessandro

unfortunately I can’t have WSL on my corporate PC.

Best regards,

Alessandro

Nov 11, 2020, 6:31:51 AM11/11/20
to PyNE
Looking back through old notes, there were some slight variations from the below steps to getting PyNE running via WSL. Here are the installation steps I used, along with some other possible solutions: https://alexmalins.com/blog/installing-pyne-on-windows-via-wsl/

Alex

Cibi Sundaram

Apr 2, 2021, 12:52:31 PM4/2/21
to PyNE
Hello Alex,
Thank you for your answer. I tried to install PyNE in WSL and it is good as a standalone package. But I am using Anaconda from Windows(I could install in WSL but I cant open the editors like spyder as GUI) and hence I cannot use the PyNE packages in conda environment.

Is there any solution that you have to solve it?

Regards,
Cibi Sundaram

Alex Malins

Apr 2, 2021, 7:27:17 PM4/2/21
to pyne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cibi,

I have no direct experience of this, have you tried installing an X-server like VcXsrv on the Windows side? It looks to be possible to get the GUI WSL software working this way. Here are some links offering advice:

Another option: it now may be possible to compile PYNE directly on windows. See this recent PR on GitHub: https://github.com/pyne/pyne/pull/1367
To do this you would need to clone the latest version of the develop branch from GitHub, as this PR has not yet been incorporated into a release.

If either of these solutions work for you, please report back here!

Best wishes,
Alex

Baptiste MOUGINOT (BaM)

Apr 3, 2021, 2:58:03 AM4/3/21
to pyne...@googlegroups.com
Hi  Cibi, hi Alex,

Sadly the PR you are referring to only allows a partial build on windows. That won’t be suitable for a standard PyNE use and installation.
On windows, in my opinion, WSL is your best option ...

Baptiste

Alex Malins

Apr 3, 2021, 3:18:45 AM4/3/21
to pyne...@googlegroups.com
Baptiste,

Thanks for the clarification.

Cibi,

I just tested using WSL ver 1 with an X Server and I could load some Linux GUI windows, emacs and some matplotlib figures, successfully. All it took was the command "export DISPLAY=:0" and starting some X Server software on the Windows side - in my case MobaXterm as I had it installed already. I didn't test spyder, but imagine it should work fine as well. If you have any trouble getting this working, happy to try and help.

Best wishes,
Alex

Message has been deleted

Cibi Sundaram

Apr 6, 2021, 9:51:13 PM4/6/21
to PyNE
Hello Alex & Baptiste,

Thank you for your support. I chose to follow the solution of installing an X server for the WSL. I chose VcXSrv and it works very well. Also, Windows is planning to release a X server of their own for the WSL in upcoming WIn10 builds for a proper compatibility.

Until then, I will stick with VcXsrv.

Have a nice day guys!

Regards,
Cibi

Alex Malins

Apr 6, 2021, 10:06:49 PM4/6/21
to pyne...@googlegroups.com
Cibi,

Great that it works. Also I hadn't heard that MS are going to release their own X server. Sure it will be good, thanks for letting us know.

Alex

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 10:51, Cibi Sundaram <cibisun...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you Alex and Baptiste.

I installed a X server (VcXsrv) for my WSL and it works good. Also, Windows is planning to introduce a X server of their own in their following builds which is more compatible with WSL. Until then, I will stick with VcXsrv.

Regards,
Cibi

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PyNE" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyne-dev/cfebf4e1-d065-4801-9073-a45f741563fbn%40googlegroups.com.