nuc_data_make error

Ron Lavera

Apr 5, 2023, 10:46:21 AM4/5/23
to pyne...@googlegroups.com
To all

I would like to inform you of an error I encountered running nuc_data_make following the installation of PyNE 0.7.7.
I would also like to make you aware of my potential solution.

1) When I ran nuc_data_make I received this error:
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'progress'

After determining that I did not have progressbar installed (which was not mentioned as a dependency in the installation instructions), I installed the app.
I still had the same error.
I took the snippet of code referencing the use of code from utils.py ( from progress.bar import bar) and tried it in anaconda-navigator jupyter notebook. It didn't work.
I used the examples provided on one of the progressbar websites and determined that progress bar did actually work, just not the way you implemented it in utils.py.

My apparent fix was to change "from progress.bar import bar" to "from progressbar import bar". For good measure I also included the statement "import progressbar as progress".

The documentation showing the error I encountered and the fix I used are shown in the attached files.
As an additional piece of information, when I ran nuc_data_make following the fix, I received these messages:
$ nuc_data_make > ndm-log.txt
/home/rlavera/.local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/pyne-0.7.7-py3.10.egg/pyne/utils.py:170: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  USE_COLOR = os.name is "posix"
I did not see any indication that a progress bar was displayed.
The large file   266561 -rw-r--r-- 1 rlavera rlavera 13021601 Apr  5 01:00 prebuilt_nuc_data.h5
was created, but there was no indication observable to me, that data on the internet was used to construct the file, as was implied by the pyne installation site documentation.

In any case, I have attached files showing what was done.
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks
Ron
progressbar-pip.txt
nuc_data_make-post-fix.txt
nuc_data_make-error-screenshot.txt
utils-fix-RL.py

Paul Wilson

Apr 6, 2023, 10:57:29 AM4/6/23
to pyne...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ron,

Thanks for reporting this.  There is, indeed, a gap in our documentation of the dependencies.  Hopefully, we can fix that soon with some other build improvements we are making.

It turns out that our progress bar is based on the ‘progress’ package and not the ‘progressbar’ package.  The former still works for us, I believe.  I wonder if that’s a more straightforward fix?

Thanks again,

Paul

--
Paul P.H. Wilson (he/him/his)

Computational Nuclear Engineering Research Group

--

---