Segmentation Fault installing PYNE-0.7-7

Ron Lavera

Aug 3, 2023, 7:58:44 PM8/3/23
to PyNE
To all

I have been trying to use PYNE with OPENMC.
In the past (April 2023 time frame) I managed to get pyne to work in a WSL2 Ubuntu base environment. However, I was unable to get it to work with openmc.

Fast forward to the present, I have picked up again on this endeavor

I set up a conda env   conda activate openmc-env
I then installed openmc into that environment.
I tried to use Alex Malins' instructions for installing pyne.
I encounter a lot of problems with this section:
sudo apt install python3-pip build-essential cmake gfortran libblas-dev liblapack-dev libeigen3-dev libhdf5-dev hdf5-tools pip3 install --user numpy==1.17.4 scipy cython nose tables matplotlib future

and basically, I had to manually install scipy, cython, nose, tables matplotlib and future.

I am running WSL2  Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS.

I am getting the following error message:

############### Begin Python Install ###############
-- Python installer:
  PYTHON_EXECUTABLE: /opt/anaconda3/3.10/anaconda3/envs/openmc-env/bin/python3
  CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX: /opt/anaconda3/3.10/anaconda3/envs/openmc-env
  CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR: /opt/pyne/pyne-0.7.7/build
/opt/pyne/pyne-0.7.7/build/setup_sub.py:9: DeprecationWarning: the imp module is deprecated in favour of importlib and slated for removal in Python 3.12; see the module's documentation for alternative uses
  import imp
<frozen importlib._bootstrap>:241: RuntimeWarning: compiletime version 3.10 of module 'pyne.pyne_config' does not match runtime version 3.11
CMake Error at cmake/SetupSubPyInstall.cmake:15 (message):
  Process setup_sub.py install failed, res_var = 'Segmentation fault'
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  cmake_install.cmake:46 (include)

As an extra added bonus, the installation of pyne into the openmc-env broke my original installation of pyne in the base env, and now I don't have any functional version of pyne.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Paul Wilson

Aug 3, 2023, 8:07:12 PM8/3/23
to pyne...@googlegroups.com

Hello Ron,

I’m sorry that you’re experiencing so many challenges.  We don’t have a lot of WSL experience on our team, but hopefully we can offer some guidance as a community.

If you are installing from source, you might try the newest Ubuntu installation script.  I can’t say how it works within a conda environment, as we test it on a clean Ubuntu system.

Regards,

Paul

--
Paul P.H. Wilson (he/him/his)

Computational Nuclear Engineering Research Group

--

---