op2 reading for PCOMP/PCOMPS

Bill Hong

May 11, 2021, 2:55:27 AM5/11/21
to pynastra...@googlegroups.com
Dear Steve,

First of all, thanks for your great work to create such a valuable project! Currently, we plan to use pyNastran to read op2 files which include "PCOMP/PCOMPTS" tables. But I'm a little confused when looking into source codes as I saw the "_read_pcompts" invokes "_skip_pcompts" which seems to simply return without actually reading "PCOMP/PCOMPTS" records. I'm wondering if pyNastran can support reading this type of data at this point in time... Would you please give some comments or suggestions? Thanks much for your attention!

Best regards,

Bill

Steven Doyle

May 11, 2021, 1:36:44 PM5/11/21
to pyNastran Discuss
Bill,
/
Currently, no, pyNastran does not support the PCOMPTS table.   I guess maybe the bigger question is what do you want it for?  Is it not just a definition of the PCOMPs in one table?

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any documentation in the DMAP guide regarding the table.  It's still possible to read, but I'm also not clear on how to generate the data.  That's necessary in order to parse it.

Steve

Bill Hong

May 11, 2021, 10:19:19 PM5/11/21
to pynastra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

Much appreciated for your quick response! You are right, we don't have to get the PCOMPs information from the op2 file, instead what we want is to get data from op2 for other types of tables. The problem is the op2 files we created are all including the PCOMPTS table. So somehow the program raises an exception and stops running when run into logic parsing "PCOMPTS“ table. I thought there might have a convenient way to tell op2_read skip "PCOMPTS" table instead of modifying source codes. Would you please kindly suggest what would be the best way to tell pyNastran skip "PCOMPTS" table?

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

Steven Doyle

May 11, 2021, 10:30:34 PM5/11/21
to pyNastran Discuss
It's a weird table and I don't have any format description it.  I've just been guessing and trying to decode it, but without knowing what it means, it's hard to make sure it's right.  All the tests that I have pass. The best way to skip it is to just use the stock method.

Bill Hong

May 11, 2021, 11:29:52 PM5/11/21
to pynastra...@googlegroups.com
Understood, thanks so much, Steven!