Mystran a FEA solver for NASTRAN input decks is open soucre

johanne...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2015, 3:09:22 PM6/15/15
to pynast...@googlegroups.com
Hello Steve/All,

I came to know that Mystran a FEM solver which is using the Nastran "language" and the Nastran output (f06 and op2) is open source. It may helps you to improve pynastran and to code the solver.

You can find the source code (FORTRAN 90) under the following Link:

http://opensource.gsfc.nasa.gov/projects/mystran/index.php

Mystran is released under the terms and conditions of the NASA Open Source Agreement (NOSA) Version 1.1 or later.

Under http://www.mystran.com/ you can download a Windows and a Linux binary but it looks like that a license key is necessary to run it.

I hope you like it.

Best regards, Johannes

Steve Doyle

Jun 16, 2015, 12:15:51 AM6/16/15
to pynast...@googlegroups.com, johanne...@gmail.com, johanne...@gmail.com
Thanks for that.  I'll need to look at the license more carefully.  It's all a bit Greek to me.

> Each Contributor represents that it's Modification is believed to be the Contributor's original creation and does not violate any existing agreements, regulations, statures or rules, and further that Contributor has sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this Agreement.

> The NASA Open Source Agreement, version 1.3, is not a free software license because it includes a provision requiring changes to be your "original creation".  Free software development depends on combining code form third parties, and the NASA license doesn't permit this.

The license is considered a OSI compatible license and I don't really see the confusion on that violating LGPL.  I guess you could argue an FEA code written with numpy would violate that license, but I think I'm going to not think that (since it would be a strange requirement).  I don't see the FSF's point.  I know what I want it to mean.  I'm just not sure it does.

Steve

Steven Doyle

Jun 16, 2015, 2:34:55 AM6/16/15
to pynast...@googlegroups.com, johanne...@gmail.com
I've sent an email to NASA trying to figure some things out.  Regardless, there is some value (maybe not a ton) in just getting MYSTRAN working.  It's old though...like Pentium 2 old.  It looks like it was last worked on in 2012 though.

I'm pretty terrible at compiling Fotran, so if anybody knows how to convert Lahey Fortran to gfortran and fix linking errors, I'd really appreciate the help.  I've added Mystran to https://github.com/SteveDoyle2/mystran with the same license.

Steve

Steve Doyle

Jan 2, 2016, 3:16:24 PM1/2/16
to pyNastran dev, johanne...@gmail.com
I sent out a few emails, but I never got a reply back.  However, Cosmic Nastran was open sourced soon after I sent them out.  It goes by Nastran 93 https://github.com/nasa/NASTRAN-93).  That version of Nastran has since been built to work with modern compilers.  More recently Nastran 95 (https://github.com/nasa/NASTRAN-95) was open sourced and the fixes have been applied to that as well.  There is an active yahoo group (https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/nastran/info).

Mystran is much less capable and at this point probably doesn't have much value.

This is probably the best version of Nastran 95 at this point.  https://github.com/OdonataResearchLLC/NASTRAN-95/commit/f11e1fb49bb5303e1e6731a73c73b323ada7f46b