PyNash group blog?

Jason Orendorff

Jan 25, 2013, 10:15:35 AM1/25/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone.

Yesterday Matt George put this up:
  http://pynash.org/

I wanna put a group blog on that page. Here's the idea.
  - 5 of us sign up as writers
  - each writer gets a day of the week
  - so once a week, each writer puts up a post
    The rules are, the post has to be at least 100 words*
    and 4 lines of code
  - The first writer to miss a day buys lunch for the others
    at the next PyNash lunch

Wouldn't it be cool? Even if it doesn't go on forever, it'd just be so much fun to have a snippet of Python code to look forward to every morning. :)

TL;DR: sign here for a FREE LUNCH

Who's with me?

-j

[*] 100 words is nothing—this email is longer than 100 words.

Ryan Macy

Jan 25, 2013, 10:33:19 AM1/25/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com, pyn...@googlegroups.com
I'm in!

TS Clausing

Jan 25, 2013, 12:51:15 PM1/25/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Oh, I definitely want in on this! Sign me up!

Scot

Jason Myers

Jan 25, 2013, 2:07:31 PM1/25/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to do this, but at a biweekly level :)

whit

Jan 25, 2013, 2:13:35 PM1/25/13
to pynash
likewise
--
<=>
david "whit" morriss

 "If you don't know where you are,
  you don't know anything at all"

  Dr. Edgar Spencer, Ph.D., 1995

whit

Jan 25, 2013, 2:15:40 PM1/25/13
to pynash
whattya say we set up a pelican static blog there?  I've done a couple of these and would be happy to set it up.  Then we can use github to manage the blogging auth via github.

-w

matt george

Jan 25, 2013, 3:48:28 PM1/25/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Given that the site is hosted on github pages, i went ahead and created a jekyll version of the site. If you want to take a look at it, it's in the jekyll branch on the github repo. Github already runs all the content in a pages repo through a jekyll filter, so it made since to do so. I plan on merging this in sometime tonight. Let me know if you have any questions.

Matt

Jason Orendorff

Jan 26, 2013, 4:27:43 PM1/26/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM, whit <d.w.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
likewise

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Jason Myers <ja...@jasonamyers.com> wrote:
I'd love to do this, but at a biweekly level :)

Well, what do you think, should we all participate at a biweekly level? Or should Jason and Whit be a team? Or what?

- whitmo/jasonamyers
- tsclausing
- r_macy
- jorendorff

That looks pretty cool to me.

-j

matt george

Jan 27, 2013, 12:42:32 PM1/27/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,
I've converted the site to a jykell powered site. What this means is that when you want to add a post, you add a markdown file in the _posts directory. You can see an example by looking at the Coming-Soon page. Another good resource is here: http://jekyllbootstrap.com/lessons/jekyll-introduction.html#content_in_jekyll. When you want to make a post, create a fork, make a pull request and I will merge it. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Also, I will throw my name into the hat to produce some posts.

thanks,
Matt

Jason Orendorff

Jan 28, 2013, 5:48:07 PM1/28/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, January 25, 2013 11:51:15 AM UTC-6, TS Clausing wrote:
Oh, I definitely want in on this! Sign me up

Scot, you're signed up. What day of the week do you want? Can you start next week?

Ryan already picked Thursday.

-j

TS Clausing

Jan 29, 2013, 1:21:58 AM1/29/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely - And I'll take Wednesday if it's available!

Are we sticking to the standard library, or is anything interesting fair game for a post?

Scot

Jason Orendorff

Jan 29, 2013, 9:11:27 AM1/29/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM, TS Clausing <tscla...@gmail.com> wrote:
Absolutely - And I'll take Wednesday if it's available!

Are we sticking to the standard library, or is anything interesting fair game for a post?

Anything interesting. The only rules are, 100+ words, 4+ lines of Python code.

(I think mine might end up being kind of long, because it's a *lot* less time-consuming to write whatever comes into my head, whatever length that happens to be, than to hit a target.)

-j

whit

Feb 9, 2013, 1:15:57 PM2/9/13
to pynash