Looking for a friend to Makers

Matt Kenigson

Feb 12, 2013, 1:12:09 PM2/12/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Howdy,

I'm helping organize the first annual Nashville (mini) Maker Faire.  We're partnering with the Adventure Science Center to host this exhibition of fun do-it-yourself ingenuity, creativity, and awesome fun goodness.  If you've never heard of a Maker Faire, check this out:  http://makerfaire.com.

So why am I writing to PyNash?  Simple.  One of the maker faire organizers (in Pittsburgh) created this website:  http://callformakers.org

He's had some family issues that have prevented him from opening it up to other Faires.  When I asked him about the platform, he said:

Anything other software devs can help with?  What's the platform?

>Thanks for the offer!
>The site runs on Web2Py. It's running an old version that I had to hand patch. Yes, I did submit bug reports, but during the application process for PghMMF, I was not going to be doing >rolling upgrades. :-)
>
>At this point the first thing I want to do is get it up to the latest version of web2py. At that point I'll be ready to show it off and try to figure out how to open it up. I have a list of things from >last year that I didn't get a chance to implement.

So, I'm wondering if anyone on the list has strong web2py-fu and is willing to help us out.  Any takers?

Matt Kenigson
mkenigson (at) g-you-know-what +dot+ com

whit

Feb 12, 2013, 1:54:45 PM2/12/13
to pynash
There is alot of strong webfu (if not web2py fu) on this list.  Is the code in github?

-w

<=>
david "whit" morriss

 "If you don't know where you are,
  you don't know anything at all"

  Dr. Edgar Spencer, Ph.D., 1995

Chris Wood

Feb 16, 2013, 8:30:29 PM2/16/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
I would LOVE to see this happen! I have  some arduino (processor) code up on my github but mostly I've kept it in my on local git repo out of figuring it was still much a work in progress. I will change this asap.

I can't write more now but I will shortly. Suffice to say I've spent the last 6 months sinking my face in everything open source hardware I could find and this is a great idea. I have a few finished projects I'm happy with.

I worked with the Adventure Science Center several years ago with another non profit and they were very kind people.

chris

Matt Kenigson

Feb 21, 2013, 9:30:50 AM2/21/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

Good to hear there are makers on this list!  Please join the nashville-makers list and let us know more about your project(s).

In the meanwhile, do you have the web2py mojo to help us out with the call for makers?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Kenigson

Feb 21, 2013, 9:35:10 AM2/21/13
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Looking into that now.  Will update as soon as I know more.