zeromq talk

whit

Feb 14, 2014, 11:42:18 AM2/14/14
to pynash
Thanks everyone who was there for your questions and patience!

The artifacts:

https://speakerdeck.com/whitmo/zeromq-mutant-socket-invasion

I used homebrew to install the latest released versions of go, haskell, zmq4 and npm (which brings along node).

build.sh will install the various zmq bindings, go-build will build a single go example (provided you are using brew, alter to your lib paths as necessary).  Use runghc to run the haskell examples.

-w

--
<=>
david "whit" morriss

 "If you don't know where you are,
  you don't know anything at all"

  Dr. Edgar Spencer, Ph.D., 1995

Jason Orendorff

Feb 14, 2014, 12:29:05 PM2/14/14
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for giving this talk, Whit.

I've been eagerly anticipating this talk for 2 years, and I still got
more out of it than I expected. :) It had escaped me how patterns for
communication are really patterns for parallelism.

-j

whit

Feb 17, 2014, 11:42:08 AM2/17/14
to pynash
Thanks Jason! would folks be interested in talks that explored specific patterns in depth?  I realize this talk was pretty focussed on the "what it is" rather than practical applications.

-w

William Golden

Feb 17, 2014, 11:44:38 AM2/17/14
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to see some examples of usage, or even a "let's build an X" that uses zeromq.

William Golden
615-753-9484

Scott Burns

Feb 17, 2014, 11:54:05 AM2/17/14
to pyn...@googlegroups.com

On 17 Feb 2014, at 10:44, William Golden wrote:

> I'd love to see some examples of usage, or even a "let's build an X" that
> uses zeromq.

+1 to "let's build X with zeromq".

--Scott

Brad Montgomery

Feb 18, 2014, 12:47:42 PM2/18/14
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Wish I could've listened in on this. The slides looks cool!

I'd love to see some examples of usage, or even a "let's build an X" that uses zeromq.

Not sure what it's worth, but I build a stupid little toy chat app using zeromq a while back. You're welcome to steam my bad ideas & do something better ;)

Jason Orendorff

Feb 18, 2014, 3:57:38 PM2/18/14
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
The guide <http://zguide.zeromq.org/page:all> says:
> These are the socket combinations that are valid for a connect-bind pair (either side can bind):
>
> * PUB and SUB
> * REQ and REP
> [...]

"either side can bind"? Whoa.

So I tried doing it backwards: binding a REQ socket and then
connecting to it with a REP socket. But it gives me an error:

import zmq
cx = zmq.Context()
s = cx.socket(zmq.REP)
s.connect("tcp://*:5555") # ZMQError: Invalid argument

The error happens whether I've already bound a REQ to that url (in
another process) or not.

What's going on here?

-j

whit

Feb 18, 2014, 4:46:24 PM2/18/14
to pynash
I had to give connect a domain or ip for this to work.

s.connect('tcp://0.0.0.0:5555')

unhelpful error messages to say the least ;)

-w

Jason Orendorff

Feb 18, 2014, 5:36:49 PM2/18/14
to pyn...@googlegroups.com
Oh, of course! Just a thinko. It runs fine now.

-j