Introduction

Aras

Oct 21, 2010, 8:20:18 PM10/21/10
to pymt-dev
Hi All!
Since I am new here I would like to introduce myself. My name is Aras,
I am a graduate student at the University of Victoria in Canada. The
research project I am working on has to do with multi-touch
interaction with infovis tools. As part of my project I have to create
several interactive visualization widgets and perform user studies on
them. The very basic ones I have in mind are a stacking bar chart and
a scatter plot. I have decided to create these in a way that hopefully
most of it can be contributed to PyMT, but I need a little help and
advice from you guys since this model of development is very new to
me. Here are some of the questions I have so far:
* How can I learn more about structure of PyMT and how to develop
custom widgets? Any links to documentation, guidelines etc. would be
very appreciated.
* Is anyone working on developing visualizations or charting widgets
for PyMT?
* Should I open an issue when I am designing a widget or should I wait
until the code is ready?

Any other advice or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Cheers!
Aras

udaya shamendra

Oct 22, 2010, 4:45:00 AM10/22/10
to pymt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aras,

You can find-out more resources to learn PyMT Developments through API reference and Programming guide- http://pymt.eu/docs/api/

Udaya Shamendra
Social:

Aras

Oct 22, 2010, 2:45:20 PM10/22/10
to pymt-dev
Hi Udaya,
Thanks for the quick reply. I am aware of the API documentation and
the Developer guide in the Wiki. Both of these have been tremendously
helpful so far.

What I am really looking for now is a bit more guidelines on how to
write widgets for PyMT. There is a page with a promising title here:
http://pymt.eu/wiki/DevGuide/WritingYourOwnWidgets but there is
nothing there yet. I guess I can figure my way out by looking at the
code of the other widgets in /pymt/ui/widgets but I wanted to ask if
there was any other resources that I should read before I do that.

Thanks again,
Aras

On Oct 22, 1:45 am, udaya shamendra <udud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Aras,
>
> You can find-out more resources to learn PyMT Developments through API
> reference and Programming guide-http://pymt.eu/docs/api/
> > pymt-dev+u...@googlegroups.com<pymt-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/pymt-dev?hl=en.
>
> --
> *Udaya Shamendra*
> Email: <udud...@gmail.com>  <udud...@yahoo.com>
>  <udud...@yahoo.com>Social:  <http://www.facebook.com/udaya.shamendra>
> <http://twitter.com/ududsha>
>   <http://lk.linkedin.com/in/udsha>
> <http://youtube.com/ududsha><http://vimeo.com/channels/udsha>

Rich E

Oct 30, 2010, 10:36:01 PM10/30/10
to pymt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aras,

I found my way through writing widgets (and everything else with pymt) by messing with the examples included in the example folder.  Then, when anything didn't make sense, I asked about it here and someone (normally Mathieu :) usually responds quickly.

The docs seem to be much more of a work in progress than the examples.  I think using something like eclipse and navigating the code base through the example also helps.

cheers,
Rich

Aras

Nov 3, 2010, 3:51:41 AM11/3/10
to pymt-dev
Rich,
Thanks for your advice. I think I will try that.

Cheers!
Aras