html5 interaction (and platform questions)

boothead

Jul 13, 2010, 2:14:48 AM7/13/10
to pymt-dev
Hi Guys,

I just came across pymt via planet python and Christopher's superb
Medical Multitouch app. I have a couple of questions/comments:

With regards to the c core, have you considered numpy for the number
crunching?

In the discussion about the 0.5 release there's talk about javascript
interaction, how does that work at the moment? I'd like to draw your
attention to a couple of things of potential interest on the html/
javascript side.

http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/ is an absolutely amazing framework
for doing data visualization in javascript. I've been toying with the
idea of adding multitouch support for it a la http://vimeo.com/11610421.
Do you think these things would be able to interact with pymt?

How does movid html5 integration work? I've done some work on
websockets enabled, real time web apps backed with eventlet and this
is a really interesting area for me. http://github.com/boothead/rpz.websocket
is a project for building real time web stuff on top of the repoze.bfg
web framework. (Apologies if movid it off topic)

Where does one find multitouch hardware to play with and build stuff
on? I'm assuming that I can't build stuff for android, ipad etc with
pymt yet (hence my html5/javascript question)?

Great project!
Ben

Mathieu Virbel

Jul 13, 2010, 3:16:40 AM7/13/10
to pymt...@googlegroups.com
Hi boothead

2010/7/13 boothead <ben.f...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I just came across pymt via planet python and Christopher's superb
> Medical Multitouch app. I have a couple of questions/comments:
>
> With regards to the c core, have you considered numpy for the number
> crunching?

Yes, for 0.5, numpy is mandatory. We are using it for transformation.

> In the discussion about the 0.5 release there's talk about javascript
> interaction, how does that work at the moment? I'd like to draw your
> attention to a couple of things of potential interest on the html/
> javascript side.

Nothing work, only experimentations have been done right now with Pyjamas.
The goal is not to use a existing Javascript framework, but beeing
able to run your application without any modification on a webbrowser.

> http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/ is an absolutely amazing framework
> for doing data visualization in javascript. I've been toying with the
> idea of adding multitouch support for it a la http://vimeo.com/11610421.
> Do you think these things would be able to interact with pymt?

No, because we/i prefer to found a solution that can be run in
standalone, or in a webbrowser.

> How does movid html5 integration work? I've done some work on
> websockets enabled, real time web apps backed with eventlet and this
> is a really interesting area for me. http://github.com/boothead/rpz.websocket
> is a project for building real time web stuff on top of the repoze.bfg
> web framework. (Apologies if movid it off topic)

The UI is in HTML yes, but we don't use anything specific in HTML5.

> Where does one find multitouch hardware to play with and build stuff
> on? I'm assuming that I can't build stuff for android, ipad etc with
> pymt yet (hence my html5/javascript question)?

We don't have a list of hardware, but if you are searching something,
i can recommand you :
* ACER T230H (dual touchscreen, 280E)
* Touchsmart TM2 (tablet pc with dual touchscreen, 800E)
* 3M MT display (multitouch screen, 1500$)

That's exactly why i would like to found a solution for PyMT -> HTML5
translation :)
Even if with new C part, it will be more difficult :)

> Great project!
> Ben

Thanks Ben !