audio sythesis (was Re: AttributeError in sinemixer example)

1 view

Rich E

Jun 23, 2010, 8:54:29 PM6/23/10
to pymt...@googlegroups.com
That package looks interesting, finally a native python audio dsp library.

I was thinking to use pd and supercollider for the audio back end (and probably sequencing too, since they offer much more precise timing than python), controlled from python. Is there anyone working on good integration between these audio tools and pymt?

Rich

2010/6/24 Nathanaël Lécaudé <n...@studioimaginaire.com>
Also, sinemixer probably won't survive very long because ounk is being phased out and replaced by the much powerful pyo :

pyo is much easier to integrate with pymt and much faster also.

2010/6/23 Mathieu Virbel <txp...@gmail.com>

In /home/r/code/pymt/examples/sinemixer/sinemixer.py, replace
.get_size()  by .size.

But they can be others errors. We'll do a complete pass for all
examples when changes will be finished (next week i hope). In the
meantime, mailing list or bugtracker is ok to use :)

I don't wanted to be rude, just inform that it can be normal if it's
not running. :)

Mathieu

2010/6/23 Rich E <rich....@gmail.com>:
> I see.  Shall I keep things like this off of the mailing list then?  Is it
> worth mentioning it to you guys or will things like this get fixed when the
> time comes for a new release?
> Sorry, I am just now digging into the pymt guts myself, after trying out the
> nice sequencer examples last month.  And the thing is, I'd really like to
> have the ounk (sinemixer) example working since I want to use pymt within an
> audio app and it looks like a great place to start.  Should I use the
> official released version, or is this an easy fix?  I looked for a while but
> got lost somewhere in the pygame abstraction.
> Rich
>
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Mathieu Virbel <txp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Examples are not fixed in trunk/master. :)
>> (We don't maintain all examples after each commit we do)
>>
>> Mathieu
>>
>> 2010/6/23 Rich E <rich....@gmail.com>:
>> > Hi all,
>> > So I finally found some time to dig into the many examples and I have a
>> > couple issues.  I am not sure that I have a good enough grasp on how
>> > pymt
>> > has abstracted the many different windowing api's that I see in there
>> > (pygame, glut, pyglet?), so I will post this here for someone who knows
>> > the
>> > code better than myself.  I'd love to get these all working before
>> > starting
>> > on my own project.
>> > So.. I run sinemixer (after installing ounk) and get:
>> > pydev debugger: starting
>> > [ [1;32mINFO [0m   ] PyMT v0.5-dev
>> > [ [1;33mWARNING [0m] [Core    ] Accelerate module not available <No
>> > module
>> > named _accelerate>
>> > [ [1;32mINFO [0m   ] [Logger  ] Record log in
>> > /home/r/.pymt/logs/pymt_10-06-24_2.txt
>> > [ [1;33mWARNING [0m] [Core    ] Execute "python setup.py build_ext
>> > --inplace"
>> > [ [1;33mWARNING [0m] [Extensions] _graphx not available: <No module
>> > named
>> > _graphx>
>> > [ [1;32mINFO [0m   ] [Camera  ] using <gstreamer> as camera provider
>> > [ [1;32mINFO [0m   ] [Text    ] using <pygame> as text provider
>> > [ [1;32mINFO [0m   ] [Video   ] using <gstreamer> as video provider
>> > [ [1;32mINFO [0m   ] [OSC     ] using <multiprocessing> for socket
>> > [ [1;32mINFO [0m   ] [Loader  ] using <pygame> as thread loader
>> > [ [1;32mINFO [0m   ] [Window  ] use Pygame as window provider.
>> > [ [1;33mWARNING [0m] [WinPygame] Video: failed (multisamples=2)
>> > [ [1;33mWARNING [0m] [Video   ] trying without antialiasing
>> > [ [1;32mINFO [0m   ] [Window  ] OpenGL version <2.1 Mesa 7.7.1>
>> > Traceback (most recent call last):
>> >   File
>> >
>> > "/home/r/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.5.0_155965261/plugins/org.python.pydev.debug_1.5.7.2010050621/pysrc/pydevd.py",
>> > line 978, in <module>
>> >     debugger.run(setup['file'], None, None)
>> >   File

> [...]

Nathanaël Lécaudé

Jun 23, 2010, 10:00:13 PM6/23/10
to pymt...@googlegroups.com
I'll redo the example quite soon, both libraries work already pretty well together !  I was also thinking about using Max/MSP as my backend in the beginning, but pyo is a much more logical choice since it can integrate with pymt in a more natural way !

Nathanaël Lécaudé

Jun 23, 2010, 10:48:13 PM6/23/10
to pymt...@googlegroups.com
Yes, in pyo all the timing is done in C (and the processing too) so there are no speed problems.  My current implementation is to also abstract the audio engine by using osc, in the longer term I think I will switch to pyo because it features pretty much all I need.

2010/6/23 Rich E <rich....@gmail.com>
It would be nice to abstract away from the audio engine too, that way you just have to make an interface for Max/MSP, pd, pyo, etc, when one has benefits over another.  I still don't see how a good and fast sequencer can be made in pure python, without doing the entire thing in C and wrapping it (I suppose this is pyo as it stands?).

I agree with you it would be much more natural, to not have to use OSC and run two separate apps.  Still, there has been some work running both supercollider and pd from python, both very mature audio engines.

Rich E

Jun 28, 2010, 4:02:58 AM6/28/10
to pymt...@googlegroups.com
Nathanael, I saw that you updated the sinemixer example to use pyo, thanks!

I just installed pyo and got it running, noticing one thing: in pymt_plugin_deactivate(), the server cannot be found because it was declared locally in pymt_plugin_activate().  Doesn't really effect usage, but sure makes a red boom when you shut it down.

cheers,