Volunteering for the PyMNtos Group Leadership Team

Peter J. Farrell

Dec 15, 2013, 6:48:48 PM12/15/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com
We are looking at putting a bit more structure to organizing our group.  No crazy committees but ways for interested people to volunteer to help out PyMNtos in different ways.  We do not have any firm ideas how its going to work other that we're going to have leadership team in place for the group.  No elections as we want interested parties to just volunteer to help out (ie. self organizing).  We're planning on running it as a democracy / meritocracy (i.e. meritocrazy SIC) as much as possible. For the sake of not going to the bottom of minutia pound for every decision, I'm going to reserve the right of veto to keep things going (i.e. your benevolent dictator). Now, the word volunteer has does come with some expectations of participation -- however I'm not going to force hours upon hours of work upon those that have limited time.  We will more than likely ask for a volunteer to run a single future meeting or assign a task to write a communication to the group, etc.  Many hands make lighter work...(although one might argue that many brains just mean more complicated answers ;-)

If you are interested in helping out the group, please reply with your full name and email address.  I will add you to our project management tool at TeamWorkPM.net where we've been discussing (via messaging there) and managing tasks.

Gregg Lind

Dec 15, 2013, 6:52:11 PM12/15/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com
1.  Who is the we there?
2.  Why?
3.  Oh, really?

--
Meetings Schedule / RVSP on our Meetup at http://python.mn
---

Peter J. Farrell

Dec 15, 2013, 6:56:14 PM12/15/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com
Gregg Lind said the following on 12/15/2013 05:52 PM:
1.  Who is the we there?'
Currently, myself, David Fawcett, Kurt Wiersma and Eric Cobb with sprinkles from others at times.

2.  Why?
Prevention of burnout.  Running a group is hard work and time consuming.  I myself am feeling that burnout will come unless something is done.  Also, the group should be self-organizing however that usually doesn't happen naturally...  Really the success of PyMNtos shouldn't be on determined on the shoulders of one person -- it is a Community Group not Peter's Python User Group ;-)

3.  Oh, really?
Yes, really!
--
Peter J. Farrell
Principal Technologist - Maestro Publishing, LLC

* Learn about VSRE. I prioritize emails with VSRE in the subject!  http://vsre.info/
* Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/

Peter J. Farrell

Dec 15, 2013, 7:13:21 PM12/15/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Chad Parrish to our TWPM project.