January Main Meeting Idea: Beginning Python

Brandon Krumwiede

Nov 14, 2013, 7:50:44 PM11/14/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com
After talking with Peter and others at the last Python Web Dev meeting, since Peter will be out in January he asked for ideas. I think that it being the beginning of a new year, starting with the basics/beginning of Python might be a good idea. This would help to encourage those who are just starting out with Python to join the group or start developing new skills. I know that Ravi said that he had some learning materials available that might be of interest to new & old learners. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly encouraged and I would be glad to help get things set up for the January meeting.

Peter J. Farrell

Nov 15, 2013, 2:15:55 PM11/15/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com
Brandon Krumwiede said the following on 11/14/2013 06:50 PM:
Thanks for volunteering Brandon! I really appreciate it. Also, Ravi,
David Fawcett and Kevin Hansen have volunteered to help that night.
I'll make some updates to the Meetup event now and why don't you send me
a title and a short agenda for the Jan. meeting.

--
Peter J. Farrell
Principal Technologist - Maestro Publishing, LLC

* Learn about VSRE. I prioritize emails with VSRE in the subject! http://vsre.info/
* Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents. Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/

Ravi

Nov 19, 2013, 9:02:27 PM11/19/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com
Hi
  I can talk about a simple django project to keep tab of books, DVDs etc that you lent to others.  It will involve using django models, views, forms, admin, templates,db etc.

Ravi

Kyle Marek-Spartz

Nov 19, 2013, 9:03:55 PM11/19/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com, Ravi
I could talk about a similar app using Flask.

--
Kyle Marek-Spartz
>--
>Meetings Schedule / RVSP on our Meetup at http://python.mn
>---

Peter Farrell

Nov 19, 2013, 11:15:24 PM11/19/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com

Hey Ravi, we're going to start a similar concept at the Web Dev meeting in Dec. We're going to spread it out over several meetings. Watch this space... David Fawcett and I spent three hours planning.

I was thinking more a into to Python... I'll send a link in a bit. On my phone right now.

Peter J. Farrell

Nov 20, 2013, 9:34:18 PM11/20/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com
Ravi said the following on 11/19/2013 08:02 PM:
I can talk about a simple django project to keep tab of books, DVDs etc that you lent to others.  It will involve using django models, views, forms, admin, templates,db etc.
Thanks everybody for all the ideas and volunteering for the January meeting. A little backstory on what is happening at the December Web Dev meeting.  David Fawcett (hat tip) spent three hours with me last Monday on planning a long-ish running series of events for the Web Dev Meeting.

The concept for the Web Dev meetings is a series of meetings learning to build a web app -- it will be mob programming style with discussions.  In this case, we're going to build a simple library for PyMNtos' new library and integrate it with Meetup.com API for seamless login.  Between the Web Dev meetings, we'll run smaller hack nights where people can gather to learn and contribute.  This is also a community building and open source citizen exercise too!  We'll announce more in shortly as David, Kurt Wiersma and myself plan out the schedule as we flesh out some additional objectives and a roadmap.

So given that, I was hoping that the Main January meeting had a more core Python focus for beginners instead of a web focus because a you see there is a bit of overlap in the terms on subject matter.  So food for thought, what do you think about doing something more Intro to Python?  My idea is to take some concepts and exercises from Google EDU's three day crash course on Python.  This of course might expand into another series of meetings that would be additional to the Main and Web Dev meetings.

https://developers.google.com/edu/python/

So Ravi, Brandon Krumwiede, and others that have volunteered to run January's meeting... do you think you could tackle this?

Ravi

Nov 21, 2013, 1:06:59 PM11/21/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com
I can definitely talk about basics of Python in the Main January meeting.

I would like to recommend a few topics for the web meeting.
  1. Making ajax calls
  2. Celery with rabbitMQ, redis etc
  3. Hosting sites using Amazon EC2, Heroku etc.
  4. Sending emails through various services like Amazon SES, MailChimp etc.
  5. Extending django classes
  6. Caching using memcached etc
  7. Performance optimization
  8. Better and scalable techniques for django model creation
Ravi

Peter J. Farrell

Nov 21, 2013, 1:27:30 PM11/21/13
to pym...@googlegroups.com
Ravi said the following on 11/21/2013 12:06 PM:
I can definitely talk about basics of Python in the Main January meeting.
Awesome!  Ravi, I made you an event host for the January meeting so you can edit the title / agenda. Let's get a better idea of a meeting agenda sometime before the December meeting so we can promote it.

I would like to recommend a few topics for the web meeting.
  1. Making ajax calls
  2. Celery with rabbitMQ, redis etc
  3. Hosting sites using Amazon EC2, Heroku etc.
  4. Sending emails through various services like Amazon SES, MailChimp etc.
  5. Extending django classes
  6. Caching using memcached etc
  7. Performance optimization
  8. Better and scalable techniques for django model creation
All great ideas... great minds think alike!  I had a good 6 of them on my list for the more advanced meetings later on in the series.  I'll add the missing ones to the objectives list that David, Kurt and I am working up on TeamWorkPM.

Ravi, let me know if you want to access to our project management system for PyMNtos which I'm opening up to people that volunteer to run meetings.  We can use it to coordinate planning for January.

.pjf