Where can I find documentation for the API?

Evan Zamir

Feb 25, 2015, 9:11:46 PM2/25/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
For the life of me, I can't find any API online for PyMC. I 've read the User's Guide, and while it's very helpful, I need more specifics. For example, I understand that there is a class Exponential. Where is this class described?

Also, sort of a related note, does anyone know why autocompletion in PyCharm doesn't seem to pick up Exponential, Poisson and other similar classes?

Thomas Wiecki

Feb 26, 2015, 2:55:16 AM2/26/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
Is your question regarding pymc 2 or 3?

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 3:10 AM, Evan Zamir <zamir...@gmail.com> wrote:
For the life of me, I can't find any API online for PyMC. I 've read the User's Guide, and while it's very helpful, I need more specifics. For example, I understand that there is a class Exponential. Where is this class described?

Also, sort of a related note, does anyone know why autocompletion in PyCharm doesn't seem to pick up Exponential, Poisson and other similar classes?

Thomas Wiecki, PhD
Data Science Lead, Quantopian Inc, Boston

Evan Zamir

Feb 26, 2015, 12:58:11 PM2/26/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
PyMC 2 for now.

Thomas Wiecki

Feb 27, 2015, 2:51:20 AM2/27/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
Is this what you're looking for http://pymc-devs.github.io/pymc/genindex.html?

Evan Zamir

Feb 27, 2015, 12:15:20 PM2/27/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Thomas. I have seen that page. I guess what confused me a bit is that I only see the .._like() functions listed. So for example, I see binomial_like but not Binomial and bernoulli_like but not Bernoulli. I guess these are called the "Automatic" forms? I was just hoping somewhere I could find the api for that more explicitly documented. But I guess for now, I am able to make do and figure out my way.

BTW, I ended up stumbling upon your PyData video from a couple years ago on PyMC3. Great stuff! Would you recommend to someone like me just starting to use PyMC that I should use PyMC 3 right away, instead of PyMC 2?
-evan

Thomas Wiecki

Mar 2, 2015, 3:23:21 AM3/2/15
to py...@googlegroups.com
It's difficult to say. I personally use pymc3 for everything with great success (but there might be some sharper edges). The docs are starting to materialize here: http://pymc-devs.github.io/pymc3/ If that's enough info for you and you feel a bit adventurous, try out that.