PyKE 3 on pypi.org

Nicola Vitucci

May 4, 2020, 4:40:49 AM5/4/20
to PyKE
Hi all,

I see that PyKE 3 cannot be found on PyPI. Would it be fine to put it on GitHub and create a package and PyPI distribution from there?

Thanks,

Nicola

Bruce Frederiksen

May 6, 2020, 5:29:05 PM5/6/20
to py...@googlegroups.com
Sure!  That would be a big help.  You'll see that there are two mercurial repositories.  These were done so that the Python 2to3 tool could be run to convert from Python 2 to 3.  I don't recall the details now.

I would think that you could drop the Python 2 support and just use one repo.  I have several shell scripts in the top-level source directory to automate things...  Look at the README files (there are  two).

It would also be nice to update the dependencies (such as ply) to use their latest versions.  I wouldn't expect this to be too hard.

Finally, when I wrote the documentation, either sphinx wasn't out yet, or I hadn't heard of it.  So I wrote my own tool to do links between multiple reStructured Text pages.  Converting this to sphinx (which is also based on reStructured Text) would then allow you to put the documentation on Read The Docs.

You can try running Pyke on the examples to check it out (over and above the test suite, which is minimal...)

I would be happy to answer questions!

-Bruce

Nicola Vitucci

May 26, 2020, 4:56:21 PM5/26/20
to PyKE
Hi Bruce,

Thanks! And sorry for the delay, I wasn't notified of you reply :(

Here is a first version, where I (hopefully) invited you as a collaborator: https://github.com/nvitucci/pyke

I've used the pyke3-1.1.1.zip file from https://sourceforge.net/projects/pyke/files/pyke/1.1.1/pyke3-1.1.1.zip to create it. Running just a "pip install -e ." in a virtual environment works, and besides that I've still changed very little. If that's fine with you, I think the discussion can be continued on Github directly.

It would probably be good to update the version from 1.1.1 now?

Nicola

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 4:40 AM Nicola Vitucci <nicola...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I see that PyKE 3 cannot be found on PyPI. Would it be fine to put it on GitHub and create a package and PyPI distribution from there?

Thanks,

Nicola

Bruce Frederiksen

Jun 4, 2020, 8:05:14 PM6/4/20
to py...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I've been very busy.  I did receive the invite, but it expired before I could accept it.

I would like to compare what you have to what's in sourceforge to make sure that everything made it over.  (When I get some time)...

How do you plan to make the documentation available?

I don't think that I mind losing the commit history on sourceforge.

If you are willing take over stewardship of the pyke project, I can put a notice on sourceforge that the project has moved to github after I check things over and the documentation hosting as been resolved.

So, are you volunteering to take over stewardship of the pyke project?

-Bruce

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyke/561cc564-113a-4ead-aefb-0501f0f069bb%40googlegroups.com.

Nicola Vitucci

Jun 15, 2020, 12:31:31 PM6/15/20
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

I just reinvited you. To be honest I didn't know you were on Github when I created the project, otherwise I would have suggested to keep it in your space (which we could still do)! Another possibility would be to create an "organization" where both of us would be members. Anyway, what do you mean with "stewardship"? What would you expect me to do?

As for the documentation, I haven't made any plans yet but readthedocs seems a good choice (unless you have a better idea).

Nicola

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PyKE" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pyke/CAEs%3D1RgL%2BR1jWioWJm%3D1BVJjzD2apbrM%3DNU_rC5R5eGE1z_4DQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Bruce Frederiksen

Jun 17, 2020, 8:56:01 PM6/17/20
to py...@googlegroups.com
OK, the invite worked this time!

I've always used sphinx with readthedocs.  Don't know if readthedocs support other options?  (Unfortunately the pyke docs don't currently use sphinx -- though they do use reStructuredText).

"stewardship" basically means that the project belongs to you now and you babysit it.  Maybe I can occasionally help out, but I'm retired now and spending less and less time on the computer...  Let me know.

Nicola Vitucci

Jul 5, 2020, 5:10:52 PM7/5/20
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bruce,

I'd like to help as I've been using PyKE in the past and I want to give back, so I am happy to take care at least of the maintenance aspect (keeping the project on Github, releasing it on PyPI, creating the docs and so on). I don't know much about the internals though, so if you're happy to still take on questions on the ML and check out Github issues, we can go on. What do you think?

Nicola

Nicola Vitucci

Apr 16, 2021, 7:39:00 PM4/16/21
to PyKE
Hi Bruce,

I've slightly updated the README and the setup.py to create a pyke3 package on Test PyPI: https://test.pypi.org/project/pyke3/

If that seems in order, I'll create the pyke3 package on official PyPI too.

Nicola

Bruce Frederiksen

Apr 20, 2021, 10:24:33 AM4/20/21
to py...@googlegroups.com
Taking a quick look.

I'm seeing the .git directory in the tar file.  This shouldn't be included in the source files.

Also want to point out that I copied the ply project into the pyke/krb_compiler/ply directory.  This is version 3.3, but ply is now up to 3.11!  It would be nice to set up a proper dependency on ply and upgrade to the new version.

Have you been able to figure out how to run the various tests?

Glad to see you spending some time with this!

-Bruce

Nicola Vitucci

Apr 20, 2021, 4:53:48 PM4/20/21
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

I'll see to remove the .git folder from source. I've tried to run the tests but I haven't been successful yet since doctest-tools is not available for Python 3. I'd try and get the tests running before updating any library, to be on the safe side.

In the meantime, I created a PR [1] to try and port the existing documentation to Sphinx. Please take a look if you can, as I had to use a few "hacks" to make it work - and an extra pair of eyes would be super useful. I'll raise more PRs for the other items you just mentioned.

Nicola