PyInstaller: FormatMessageW failed on 64-bit

Joe R.

Dec 27, 2023, 6:59:54 PM12/27/23
to PyInstaller
Hello,

I'm unfortunately having another issue getting my Python packages in my PyInstaller script fully up-to-date.

I'm a current developer on PySolFC - we have an AppVeyor script that runs PyInstaller to generate our installers.  And while it used to work fine, we recently had some issues with an update of the Pillow library.

Unfortunately, in their 10.0 release, Pillow stopped providing a 32-bit wheel, so the installer generation script no longer works with a 32-bit Python.  I tried switching out to a 64-bit Python, and while the script runs to completion, I ultimately get an error saying "PyInstaller: FormatMessageW failed" when I try to run the installed version.  The only workaround is to use Pillow 9.5 on the 32-bit Python, which prevents me from fully updating Python and the other packages.

The current version of the script we're using can be found at https://github.com/shlomif/PySolFC/blob/master/.appveyor.yml - unfortunately I don't know enough about the script to have much luck trying to update it myself, and I only know the basics of PyInstaller in general.  The person who originally wrote the script is not currently active on the project.

Is anyone able to help me figure out how I can get the 64-bit PyInstaller to work?

Thanks.