Suggestion for documentation on how to install PyGraphViz on Windows

Lucien De Brot

Aug 12, 2023, 8:15:44 AM8/12/23
to pygraphviz-discuss
Hi there,

When trying to install PyGraphViz on my Windows PCs (Windows 10 and Windows 11, 64-bit), I came across this installation option for Windows on your Github, which failed in my case.

It turns out that there are two double quotes to be removed in order to make the installation process work.

Version currently shown on Github, with two questionable double quotes marked in red, which does not work on Windows PowerShell (shows an error message about the command syntax):
python -m pip install --use-pep517 ` --config-setting="--global-option=build_ext" ` --config-setting="--global-option="-IC:\Program Files\Graphviz\include" ` --config-setting="--global-option="-LC:\Program Files\Graphviz\lib" ` pygraphviz

Version which worked for me, without the two double quotes:
python -m pip install --use-pep517 ` --config-setting="--global-option=build_ext" ` --config-setting="--global-option=-IC:\Program Files\Graphviz\include" ` --config-setting="--global-option=-LC:\Program Files\Graphviz\lib" ` pygraphviz

I know that I am not the only one struggling to install pygraphviz on Windows (pip fails for so many). So, for what it's worth.

Kind regards,
Lucien