[pygame] pygame on iPhone

Georg Bernhard

Oct 2, 2008, 3:48:51 PM10/2/08
to pygame...@seul.org
Hi, PyGamers!
Does anyone know if there is a pygame version available for the iphone?
i saw some people ported pygame games to the iphone, so it should be
doable. maybe there is even a repository one could add to cydia and ...
be happy?
Regards, Gogo.

René Dudfield

Oct 2, 2008, 8:49:32 PM10/2/08
to pygame...@seul.org
hi,

there is a port of SDL to iphone which hasn't been made public yet
because of the NDA. Actually... SDL was ported separately by at least
6 different developers that I know of. I'm guessing it was ported
maybe 10-50 times total?

Well, anyway... porting pygame to it is the next step. However I
think the iphone puts other legal restrictions in place which make
free software, and open source unable to run on that platform.

The other issue is they ban virtual machines... like python. However
I've heard people have made ports of python anyway.

It's a hostile platform for open source, python and pygame.

So in short... most of the hard work has been done, but I'm not
entirely sure if anyone has done it yet... and even if they did, you
wouldn't be allowed to use it freely.

cheers,

James Paige

Oct 2, 2008, 9:05:53 PM10/2/08
to pygame...@seul.org
On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 10:49:32AM +1000, René Dudfield wrote:
> hi,
>
> there is a port of SDL to iphone which hasn't been made public yet
> because of the NDA. Actually... SDL was ported separately by at least
> 6 different developers that I know of. I'm guessing it was ported
> maybe 10-50 times total?
>
> Well, anyway... porting pygame to it is the next step. However I
> think the iphone puts other legal restrictions in place which make
> free software, and open source unable to run on that platform.
>
> The other issue is they ban virtual machines... like python. However
> I've heard people have made ports of python anyway.
>
> It's a hostile platform for open source, python and pygame.
>

> So in short... most of the hard work has been done, but I'm not
> entirely sure if anyone has done it yet... and even if they did, you
> wouldn't be allowed to use it freely.
>

> cheers,

Which is certainly why the previous poster suggested having it in a
Cydia source, not in the App Store. My preferred target would
definitely be jailbroken iPhones, not the Apple SDK.

Arr, Mateys!

---
James Paige

Greg Ewing

Oct 2, 2008, 11:45:49 PM10/2/08
to pygame...@seul.org
René Dudfield wrote:

> there is a port of SDL to iphone which hasn't been made public yet
> because of the NDA.
>

> The other issue is they ban virtual machines... like python.

I'm quite disgusted by Apple's whole approach to the iPhone,
and because of it, I currently have little interest in buying
an iPhone or attempting any iPhone development. The restrictive
atmosphere would just suck all the fun out of it for me.

My recommendation is to forget about the iPhone and get behind
Android instead. And let Apple know clearly why you're doing it.
Maybe if they see that they're turning large numbers of their
friends into enemies, they'll rethink their attitude. Or maybe
losing enough iPhone sales to Google phones will do it. Perhaps.

--
Greg

James Mills

Oct 3, 2008, 12:47:24 AM10/3/08
to pygame...@seul.org
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Greg Ewing <greg....@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> I'm quite disgusted by Apple's whole approach to the iPhone,
> and because of it, I currently have little interest in buying
> an iPhone or attempting any iPhone development. The restrictive
> atmosphere would just suck all the fun out of it for me.

+1

> My recommendation is to forget about the iPhone and get behind
> Android instead. And let Apple know clearly why you're doing it.
> Maybe if they see that they're turning large numbers of their
> friends into enemies, they'll rethink their attitude. Or maybe
> losing enough iPhone sales to Google phones will do it. Perhaps.

+1

Cheers
(disappointed) James

-- "Problems are solved by method"

Jack Nutting

Oct 3, 2008, 4:21:22 AM10/3/08
to pygame...@seul.org
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Greg Ewing <greg....@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> I'm quite disgusted by Apple's whole approach to the iPhone,
> and because of it, I currently have little interest in buying
> an iPhone or attempting any iPhone development. The restrictive
> atmosphere would just suck all the fun out of it for me.

I can see where you're coming from. I cut my teeth on game
programming with pygame, I love python, and I'd love to be able to
write iPhone games with python.

However, the fact is that what you *can* write with, Objective-C, is
not too shabby at all. Compared to the previously available
widely-spread mobile development technologies (j2me), Objective-C is a
breath of fresh air. Considering that the system has libraries for
image-handling, input, opengl, and audio, you've got a pretty
high-level interface to most of what pygame/sdl gives you right from
the start. The only major bits of pygame-style functionality that
aren't present out of the box are things like sprite groups and
collision detection, which I implemented myself for the game I'm
working on in just an hour or two.

> My recommendation is to forget about the iPhone and get behind
> Android instead. And let Apple know clearly why you're doing it.
> Maybe if they see that they're turning large numbers of their
> friends into enemies, they'll rethink their attitude. Or maybe
> losing enough iPhone sales to Google phones will do it. Perhaps.

So far, Apple's position on the iPhone has been a continual
loosening/expansion of what is possible. For example, remember that
less than a year ago, the official Apple line was that the only
officially-sanctioned development was going to be web apps, but
there's clearly been a huge about-face there. I am pretty hopeful
about the prospects of Apple removing the onerous clause that rules
out language interpreters in the iPhone.

--
// jack
// http://www.nuthole.com

Georg Bernhard

Oct 3, 2008, 5:57:32 AM10/3/08
to pygame...@seul.org
Jack Nutting wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 5:45 AM, Greg Ewing <greg....@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>> I'm quite disgusted by Apple's whole approach to the iPhone,
>> and because of it, I currently have little interest in buying
>> an iPhone or attempting any iPhone development. The restrictive
>> atmosphere would just suck all the fun out of it for me.
>>

> I can see where you're coming from. I cut my teeth on game
> programming with pygame, I love python, and I'd love to be able to
> write iPhone games with python.

Well, my initial motivation for asking that question was that i love
pygame, and thanks to cydia, the dev-team etc. i already *have* Python
on my iPhone, Python 2.5.1 is easy to install, in a apt-get install
python manner. Then I realised, that SDL is already there, too, e.g.
"Galcon" is ported
(http://www.galcon.com/news/2008/07/18/galcon-iphone-awesome/). The most
amazing thing is that it is available from the iTunes AppStore!

> However, the fact is that what you *can* write with, Objective-C, is
> not too shabby at all. Compared to the previously available
> widely-spread mobile development technologies (j2me), Objective-C is a
> breath of fresh air. Considering that the system has libraries for
> image-handling, input, opengl, and audio, you've got a pretty
> high-level interface to most of what pygame/sdl gives you right from
> the start. The only major bits of pygame-style functionality that
> aren't present out of the box are things like sprite groups and
> collision detection, which I implemented myself for the game I'm
> working on in just an hour or two.

Well, i personally like pygame more than Objective-C (i say that without
predicting the furure).

>> My recommendation is to forget about the iPhone and get behind
>> Android instead. And let Apple know clearly why you're doing it.
>> Maybe if they see that they're turning large numbers of their
>> friends into enemies, they'll rethink their attitude. Or maybe
>> losing enough iPhone sales to Google phones will do it. Perhaps.

I would not make the mistake to develop for the Android *instead of* the
iPhone, but i would like to broaden the possibilities pygame has by
supporting every possible platform. (All your base!)

> So far, Apple's position on the iPhone has been a continual
> loosening/expansion of what is possible. For example, remember that
> less than a year ago, the official Apple line was that the only
> officially-sanctioned development was going to be web apps, but
> there's clearly been a huge about-face there. I am pretty hopeful
> about the prospects of Apple removing the onerous clause that rules
> out language interpreters in the iPhone
The NDA has heen dropped on Wednesday. See this information:
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/ . I am not sure what
implications that has, i am not sure if you are allowed to develop "Apps
that execute code that has been downloaded" or whatever. But there are
Toolchains available for alternative developments that do not even use
apples SDKs.

I think it would be exciting to have pygame on the iPhone - and i
thought maybe it is just a question of adding some files to a
repository. I thought maybe it has already been done.

Regards, Georg Gogo. Bernhard

Greg Ewing

Oct 3, 2008, 7:22:41 AM10/3/08
to pygame...@seul.org
Jack Nutting wrote:

> However, the fact is that what you *can* write with, Objective-C, is
> not too shabby at all.

You can write it, and maybe run it on your own phone,
but nobody else can run it unless you go begging to
Apple for approval (and pay them for the privilege).
Or unless they're willing to hack their phone and
risk the ire of Apple and/or AT&T.

> So far, Apple's position on the iPhone has been a continual

> loosening/expansion of what is possible... I am pretty hopeful

> about the prospects of Apple removing the onerous clause that rules
> out language interpreters in the iPhone.

That would help, but to become truly enlightened,
they'll have to abandon all attempt to restrict what
people can run. It's that fundamental attitude that
disappoints me more than the details of the restrictions.

I rather like Google's "Don't be evil" motto, and wish
Apple would take it to heart as well.

--
Greg

Forrest Voight

Oct 4, 2008, 8:37:15 PM10/4/08
to pygame...@seul.org
It seems the NDA was dropped, just a little while ago, FYI.

yanom @linuxmail.org

Oct 5, 2008, 12:51:31 PM10/5/08
to pygame...@seul.org
I agree with you, Greg. I don't even have an iPhone, but python on the iPhone definitely would be nice. I hear Nokia phones already run Python.

=
Blue Tooth Headset
Browse a huge selection now. Find exactly what you want today.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=49b6f86e33dfee0867c5c81859fa76ec

--
Powered by Outblaze

René Dudfield

Oct 5, 2008, 7:13:43 PM10/5/08
to pygame...@seul.org
Also windows CE/windows mobile phones run python.

It seems even microsoft is less restrictive, and more open than apple for this.

Charlie Nolan

Oct 5, 2008, 9:21:24 PM10/5/08
to pygame...@seul.org
I think Hitler was less restrictive than Apple.

(What? You knew someone was going to Godwin this sooner or later. :)

-FM

go...@bluedynamics.com

Oct 6, 2008, 2:12:14 AM10/6/08
to pygame...@seul.org
Hi, yanom!
As i wrote initially on this thread, python is available on the iPhone
already. I just started this thread to find out how the odds for
porting *pygame* are, having in mind that SDL is also abailable on
'jailbroken' iPhones.
There is a free gnu toolchain for arm-darwin, too.
Regards,
Gogo.

On 05.10.2008, at 18:51, "yanom @linuxmail.org" <ya...@linuxmail.org>

A B

Jan 14, 2021, 10:51:40 PM1/14/21
to pygame mirror on google groups
Hello. How are you? I am a mobile game developer