Willing to contribute to PyDy.

Abhishek Garg

Mar 11, 2016, 8:10:48 AM3/11/16
to PyDy
Hi,

I have been through the PyDy's GSoC ideas for 2016 and found them quite interesting. I am a passionate python programmer and take good interest in mechanics.

I am enrolled under Computer Science programme in International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad and i am a second year student.

My Programming skills:
  • Comfortable with coding in Python and also have good experience in object-oriented programming
  • Strong base in Physics and Mathematics
  • Experience in using git version control system
  • Have done projects in Django (Python based web-framework)
  • Experience in code testing using pytest

Since there are many ideas listed on the ideas page, it is difficult to choose among them. Can you please shortlist the ideas that have high priority and that you want to get implemented as part of GSoC 2016.

Thanks

Abhishek Garg

Jason Moore

Mar 15, 2016, 7:59:42 PM3/15/16
to py...@googlegroups.com
If you mention what ideas you are interested in we can discuss. All of the ideas are interesting to us.

Abhishek Garg

Mar 17, 2016, 10:43:14 AM3/17/16
to PyDy
Hi Jason,
I have been through the ideas page of Pydy for GSoC 2016. I found these two projects interesting to work on :
  • Efficient Equation of Motion Generation with Python

  • Generalize the Equation of Motion Generation Classes

My working experience:
  • Comfortable with python programming
  • Experience of using sympy
  • Have been using git for a long time
  • Undertook general physics course covering basics of mechanics
  • Good at mathematics, especially calculus

Why i chose pydy - Python programming and physics are my areas of interest.

Please help me get started with these two projects. Also can you please assign me some initial tasks to get me familiar with pydy?

Thank you
Abhishek Garg

Jason Moore

Mar 17, 2016, 10:49:32 AM3/17/16
to py...@googlegroups.com
This issue just came up in my class yesterday: https://github.com/pydy/pydy/issues/133

Want to try to fix it?

If you make a test that uses the mass spring damper and then have it driven by a force that is sin(omega * t), then the rhs will need rhs(q, u, r, p, t). Right now it only has rhs(q, u, r, p). The time variable isn't available inside the function.

Abhishek Garg

Mar 19, 2016, 4:00:00 PM3/19/16
to PyDy
Hi Jason,

Sorry for being late, i was busy with my mid-term exams and hence, couldn't look into the task assigned by you. But i am working on in and will submit the pull request soon.

I have drafted a rough proposal for the project - 'Efficient Equation of Motion Generation with Python'. Here is the link to the proposal:
https://github.com/pydy/pydy/wiki/Proposal-for-GSoC2016---Efficient-Equation-of-Motion-Generation-with-Python
Please review it and let me know what changes need to be made.

Also since the GSoC website is open now, can i directly post it there?

Thank You
Abhishek Garg

Abhishek Garg

Mar 21, 2016, 7:04:17 AM3/21/16
to PyDy
Hi Jason,

While going through the code, i found that PEP-8 standards have not been followed at certain points in the codebase. Also, there are on automated tests in place to check whether PEP-8 are being followed or not. Can i work towards adding these tests or add this to the GSoC proposal?

Thank You
Abhishek Garg

Jason Moore

Mar 21, 2016, 10:48:14 AM3/21/16
to py...@googlegroups.com
Abhishek,

No these are not good additions and not suitable tasks for a GSoC project. We try to to follow PEP8 **in general** and do not want to enforce tests that lint the code. We simply want contributors to lint the code locally. And the PEP8 standards that are missed in the codebase currently are either done so for good reason or they can be fixed the next time someone edits that code.

Abhishek Garg

Mar 21, 2016, 11:20:24 AM3/21/16
to PyDy
Jason,

I was talking of implementing it in addition to the main project - 'Efficient Equation of Motion Generation with Python'. Or i create an issue and work on it now.

Also, please review my pull request - https://github.com/pydy/pydy/pull/342

I have created a rough draft of the proposal - https://github.com/pydy/pydy/wiki/Proposal-for-GSoC2016---Efficient-Equation-of-Motion-Generation-with-Python
Please check it and let me know what changes need to be made.

Kind Regards
Abhishek Garg

Abhishek Garg

Mar 21, 2016, 11:28:43 AM3/21/16
to PyDy
Hi Jason,

Have you removed the wiki-page for proposal created by me?
The url of the wiki page was - https://github.com/pydy/pydy/wiki/Proposal-for-GSoC2016---Efficient-Equation-of-Motion-Generation-with-Python
But i can't find it there.

Abhishek Garg

Jason Moore

Mar 21, 2016, 11:39:39 AM3/21/16
to py...@googlegroups.com
I fixed the title to make it fit our template, which you didn't follow.

Jason Moore

Mar 21, 2016, 5:17:47 PM3/21/16
to py...@googlegroups.com
Abhishek,

You should submit your proposal to both the SymPy org and the PSF org (sub-org PyDy) as this is a symbolic focused project. FYI.

Abhishek Garg

Mar 24, 2016, 1:21:00 PM3/24/16
to PyDy
Hi Jason,

I also plan to apply for the project - 'Generalize the equations of motion generation classes'.

Here is the link to the proposal.

Thanks
Abhishek Garg

Jason Moore

Mar 24, 2016, 5:27:08 PM3/24/16
to py...@googlegroups.com
Abhishek,

The main part of your proposal "The Project" doesn't have much information. You need to improve that significantly to be competitive. You need to describe in as much detail as you can what you plan to do. See some of the past proposals that were accepted to get an idea of what is needed.

Abhishek Garg

Mar 25, 2016, 10:04:24 AM3/25/16
to PyDy
Hi Jason,

I have updated the proposal as suggested by you.
Here is the link to final proposal.

Thank You
Abhishek Garg

Abhishek Garg

Mar 30, 2016, 11:24:32 AM3/30/16
to PyDy
Hi Jason,

I was able to solve a bug in sympy so as to be eligible to apply for GSoC under sympy.
Link to pull request
There is some problem with the Travis build of the pull request. Can you please check it and let me know why some checks are failing?

But due to shortage of time, i couldn't add the sample code to the proposal as suggested by you.

Thank You
Abhishek Garg