Computer Science Capstone Projects at UCD

Jason Moore

Oct 21, 2015, 4:41:26 PM10/21/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com, py...@googlegroups.com
SymPy and PyDy devs,

I'm now a faculty member at UCD in the mechanical engineering department. I teach our capstone design course and work with Prof. Xin Liu of the computer science department here who teaches the CS equivalent course. She would be interested in having her CS students work on SymPy, Symengine, and PyDy related projects.

If we'd like to connect to this source of new contributors, we can submit proposals to her by Dec 1 for projects that are well scoped for groups of 3-5 students to work on for an approximate 6 month period (Jan to June 2016). As with GSoC, we'd need mentor time to go along with this so that the students are more likely to be successful. This can likely be a yearly collaboration and could even be a great vetting for GSoC slots.

Have a look at the project web site for more info:

http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~liu/193/193.html

Please respond if you'd be interested in submitting a project and being a mentor. I'll then follow up with some guidelines for the submissions if we have interest.

Jason Moore

Oct 22, 2015, 1:29:17 PM10/22/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com, py...@googlegroups.com
One clarification. The mentorship role will be significantly less than GSoC. We basically need to provide the project idea and the students will run with that. We will provide support roles to provide them information and feedback on their implementations.

Aaron Meurer

Oct 23, 2015, 12:29:33 PM10/23/15
to py...@googlegroups.com, sy...@googlegroups.com
Most SymPy projects would require that the group members have a
knowledge of mathematics (for whatever they are working on). A lot of
CS students double in mathematics, so that's not unheard of.

For ideas, I would just suggest the GSoC ideas page. I don't know how
well they would work for groups. Is it better to have a project that
would go in SymPy or something that would stay separate?

Anyway, it sounds like the mentoring is not much and I can probably
help out with it.

Aaron Meurer

Jason Moore

Dec 1, 2015, 6:43:15 PM12/1/15
to sy...@googlegroups.com, py...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to submit a 1-3 projects to this course from this list:

1. Improve PyDy viz UI (pythreejs integration, importing cad models, test suite, etc)
2. Develop a singularity function module in SymPy with docs/examples on beam bending engineering problems.
3. PyDy website automated example gallery

These students would be ideal for improving the SymPy webapps (live and gamma) and also for the mathematically inclined, working on the core codebase. Francesco's MathJax idea sounds cool.

I have to get these proposals to Prof. Xin Liu by the 6th (PST). If anyone wants to submit a proposal please send me the following by the 5th:

Title
Abstract
Necessary skills (can be required or what the students will learn)

These students will likely be good candidates for GSoC too and we can lead them into an application for that if they are interested.

Let me know ASAP if you want to do this.

Thanks,

Jason

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 5:38 AM, Francesco Bonazzi <franz....@gmail.com> wrote:
Ideas suitable for CS students:

  • distribute computation (maybe more on symengine).
  • hack MathJAX to have some sort of formula editor in IPython (this is mostly Javascript/HTML only).