examples for 3D / closed mechanisms

FSFarimani

May 28, 2019, 5:19:26 PM5/28/19
to PyDy
Hello everyone,

Following this Tweet discussion, I was wondering if there are any examples for 3D and closed/parallel mechanisms? Thanks for your support in advance.

Best,
Foad

Jason Moore

May 28, 2019, 9:00:51 PM5/28/19
to PyDy
The bicycle examples are 3D closed loop system.

There were some examples contributed at some point that may offer simpler versions. They'd be in the pydy/examples directory (or an open PR) if so.

Foad Sojoodi Farimani

May 29, 2019, 3:31:05 AM5/29/19
to py...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jason,

Thanks a lot for your response. I will study it.
I see there are a lot of examples and tutorials:

It would be great if they all could be gathered and documented in one place. Also indexed in the front README as 1D, 2D, 3D serial/parallel, compliance/damping...
I would be happy to help, but wondering if I could use MarkDown or AsciiDoc instead of reStructuredText?

Best regards,

Jason Moore

May 29, 2019, 10:24:19 AM5/29/19
to py...@googlegroups.com
You are welcome to submit changes to the repositories. And no, it is unlikely any markdown will be accepted. RestructuredText is the markup language that has been used with Python before Markdown existed. Both our docs and website are Sphinx/RST based, so please stick to that standard.

Jason

Jason Moore

May 29, 2019, 10:25:04 AM5/29/19
to py...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/pydy/pydy_examples should not be linked anywhere, it is dead and only present for archival purposes.

Jason

Jason Moore

May 29, 2019, 10:26:50 AM5/29/19
to py...@googlegroups.com
Note that an examples list is present here already: http://www.pydy.org/documentation.html Maybe that just needs to be modified.

Jason

Foad Sojoodi Farimani

May 29, 2019, 10:33:47 AM5/29/19
to py...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jason,

I'm trying to collect some of the examples found in the above links and create nice and readable Jupyter Notebooks for each one. You may see one example in the attachment. PyDyTUTs\Examples\Ex001\Ex001.ipynb
Next, I want to work on the Exercises from Kane 1985 here. I was able to find the PDF from here, however, I see no exercises! I see examples and problem sets. For example, what you are referring to as Ex2.7.py could be for problem set 2.7 page 265 of the book and 285 of the PDF:

image.png

I would appreciate if you could help me know if this is correct or there are some exercises which I can't find. Thanks for your help in advance.

Best,
Foad

Foad Sojoodi Farimani

May 29, 2019, 10:35:35 AM5/29/19
to py...@googlegroups.com

The image was missing from the previous message!
F.

Jason Moore

May 29, 2019, 10:43:13 AM5/29/19
to py...@googlegroups.com
Foad,

The Kane examples match his problem sets.

Note that we will have to be careful about copyright wrt to Kane's materials. We cannot copy his text or figures in the examples. You can either refer to them or rewrite the problem in your own words and figures.

Other big goals in the examples are 1) have them run on the CI severs on each pull request and 2) generate a gallery like matplotlib, seaborn, etc.

Jason

Foad Sojoodi Farimani

May 29, 2019, 11:18:53 AM5/29/19
to py...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jason,

Just to be sure: the numbers for exercises in the repo match the number of problem sets. And the above picture is the one for  Ex2.7.py?
other points:
  • I can redraw the pictures, that shouldn't be a problem
  • I think we can use the equations though, can't we?!
  • I will prepare some notebooks and will send them to you, then you can integrate them to the org or a separate repo as your will.

Best,
Foad

Jason Moore

May 29, 2019, 11:54:38 AM5/29/19
to py...@googlegroups.com
See below.

Jason

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 8:18 AM Foad Sojoodi Farimani <f.s.fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Jason,

Just to be sure: the numbers for exercises in the repo match the number of problem sets. And the above picture is the one for  Ex2.7.py?

As far as I know they match. You'll have to confirm. I haven't spent much time with those examples.

other points:
  • I can redraw the pictures, that shouldn't be a problem
The preferred format is SVG for any figures.
  • I think we can use the equations though, can't we?!
Yes, you can use equations but you can't copy lines of equation text verbatim.

  • I will prepare some notebooks and will send them to you, then you can integrate them to the org or a separate repo as your will.
Please submit as pull requests to the appropriate repositories. I will not integrate them myself, that is up to the submitter.