ANN: Beta release of Jupyter embedded GUI tools for using Pandas DataFrames...

Jonathan Gutow

Jul 1, 2021, 12:13:33 PM7/1/21
to PyData
Dear Pandas Community,

As part of an effort to develop a completely opensource electronic laboratory notebook capable of real-time data-acquisition from sensors, while being usable in freshman level science courses, I am developing some Jupyter embedded GUI tools to help the user construct Pandas expressions such as a new calculated column or plots. All tools are based on Jupyter widgets.

These tools are meant to help the user learn how to construct the commands.
They are intended for new or occasional users of Pandas. However,
sophisticated users may find them useful for doing simple one-off tasks where
the ability to choose python objects from menus can reduce errors.

This is part of the JuputerPhysSciLab project.

At this point I wanted to make the community aware of the work and encourage those who may be interested in contributing to the project to contact me.

Regards,
Jonathan

Layne Sadler

Jul 1, 2021, 12:25:30 PM7/1/21
to pyd...@googlegroups.com
Exciting! Too much time is spent looking through pandas docs/ stackoverflow posts.

Have you considered making this an official Jupyter Subproject?
https://jupyter.org/governance/newsubprojects.html

Jonathan Gutow

Jul 1, 2021, 12:40:56 PM7/1/21
to PyData
Thanks.

I have considered making this a Jupyter subproject. However,  without some additional collaborators who can help with the overhead associated with the packaging of Jupyter widgets I am not ready to do this. Currently, I am focusing on usability of real-time data-acquisition on SBCs such as the Raspberry Pi. Another issue is that the classic Jupyter notebook interface is much better for this use case than JupyterLab, which has too many of the features of an IDE. I've found these features require too much time teaching how to use the interface, rather than concentrating on the physical experiment and data analysis.

Jonathan

Jason Grout

Jul 1, 2021, 1:16:43 PM7/1/21
to PyData
Jonathan,

Good to see one of the things you are doing these days! This looks cool!

You might also consider posting about this (or the larger sci lab project) in the Jupyter discourse show-and-tell section: https://discourse.jupyter.org/c/general/show-and-tell/45

Also, you might check out the RetroLab project, which aims to create an interface very similar to the classic Notebook, but with pieces from JupyterLab, using the JupyterLab extension system: https://github.com/jupyterlab/retrolab

Finally, we are making progress in JupyterLab on a single-document-focused mode ("Simple mode", toggled with a switch in the bottom left of the jlab 3 interface) to help address the concerns that the lab interface is too much in some workflows.

Thanks,

Jason

Jonathan Gutow

Jul 1, 2021, 2:53:23 PM7/1/21
to PyData
Jason,
Thanks for the pointers. Watch for  a post in the show-and-tell...

Jonathan