Call for pandas maintainers' help during Bloomberg hackathon

Olga Matoula

Apr 6, 2021, 7:18:52 PM4/6/21
to PyData
Dear all,

My name is Olga Matoula and I am a software engineer at Bloomberg London and a member of the Python community there. I recently wrote in the gitter channel regarding the below, but probably it wasn’t the best means for this kind of request. Copying from the previous message:

The week of 10-14 May Bloomberg is organising "Guild Week", which is a week full of internal events hosted by the different communities for our Engineering department. On Friday the 7th of May there will be a Python hackathon and our idea is to have it open source focused. I want to encourage more engineers to attempt making a contribution, as well as other folks who used to contribute in sprints but have done less the past year due to cancelled conferences or other reasons.

As I have found the pandas documentation very well written and easy to navigate, I have proposed the project as one of the few we will be focusing on. Other Bloomberg engineers have shared a lot of positive feedback about the project too. So far we will be working with Project Jupyter and we are hoping to get pandas on the list as well!

What we need from you?

It would be great if we could have the participation of a couple of the pandas maintainers during the event, to kick it off, navigate attendees through the process and suggest some issues to be worked on. IWe have found that problems get resolved more quickly and there's a general encouragement to have someone sharing their experience and feedback.

Ideally we would need someone or some ones(!) to cover 1 hour each in two timezones (morning BST and EDT). If finding two people is very challenging, we can make it work with one person.

What is in for you?

Teams in Bloomberg have been using pandas for years and such an event is a great way for us to give back and inspire more people who hadn’t contributed before to do so.

This event is expected to have good participation and even though we will have first time contributors, I can vouch for our engineers that good outcomes will come out of it and more advanced issues will be worked on.

Additionally and if this is of interest or the way you do things, we can accommodate a talk taking place, either during the Guild Week or a different time and we can discuss on the details of that separately.

Please let me know if someone could be present on the day and/or if there are any questions. I am hoping this can be the start of a great collaboration :)

Best,

Olga