PyCon MY 2022: Appreciate everyone opinion and feedback

Hilmi Bakhari

Mar 25, 2022, 11:16:06 PM3/25/22
to pycon-orga...@googlegroups.com, Ivy, James Ing Wei Tang
Dear PyCon APAC Organizers,

I am Hilmi from PyCon Malaysia (PyConMY).

As we are all aware, it was PyCon Malaysia's turn to host PyCon APAC 2020. We had started working to secure the venue in Kota Kinabalu (Sabah) in late 2019 until the global pandemic brought the project to a grinding halt.

We are fortunate that the venue provided some flexibility for us to carry forward the venue booking until this year. Although the global pandemic situation is improving, we are thinking that it will still be a challenge to conduct physical conferences as during pre-pandemic time. However, we believe it is still necessary for us to conduct an activity to ensure the community that PyConMY is still active and looking for a new generation of volunteers.

Therefore, we are exploring an option to conduct retreat-style activity for PyConMY 2022. What we have in mind is:
a) To limit number of participants (preferably ≤ 30 persons including volunteers)
b) Activities comprises of mainly development sprints sessions (the leader may be onsite or virtual)
c) Time frame: July - August 2022 (Sept 2022 can be considered too)

We believe our fellow organizers have much experience in conducting similar activities and we appreciate your views and ideas. Besides that, we welcome any suggestion for open source projects suitable for such activity.

Thank you, everyone. Stay safe.

--
regards,
hilmi bakhari

Ivy Fung

Mar 30, 2022, 8:38:02 PM3/30/22
to Hilmi Bakhari, PyCon Organizers APAC, James Ing Wei Tang
Hi, all,

As Malaysia's border is opening in less than a day to welcome international travellers, we want to seek your opinion if you would consider coming to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah for a retreat-style conference.

Here is the proposal, additional information to the previous email Hilmi sent out:

1. 3D2N stay in 5-star resort Megellan Sutera
2. Instead of having talks in meeting rooms, we will have sprints organised in suite rooms.
3. Cost is around USD100 per person on a twin-sharing room basis.
4. Optional trip to Mantanani Island.

We would really appreciate your honest feedback on the following questions to help us to understand if we shall go ahead.
Please help us out, even if the answer is "NO", you are not thinking of travelling internationally yet.

1. Would you consider this different way of PyCon?

2. Is 3D2N too short or too long for you?

3. Is USD100 reasonable for a 3D2N in a 5-star resort?

4. July - September 2022, which month would you prefer?

5. What else do you think shall be included?

Your feedback is really important and appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you, soonest possible.

Thank you.

Ivy Fung

Iqbal Abdullah

Mar 30, 2022, 9:41:56 PM3/30/22
to Ivy Fung, Hilmi Bakhari, PyCon Organizers APAC, James Ing Wei Tang
Hi Ivy and Hilmi,

> We would really appreciate your honest feedback on the following questions to help us to understand if we shall go ahead.
> Please help us out, even if the answer is "NO", you are not thinking of travelling internationally yet.

I for one would be interested to try this out.

> 1. Would you consider this different way of PyCon?

Yes. Personally, there is no "one way" to do PyCon for me. The local
organizers should decide what they want to do as they see fit.
Having said that, "PyCon" is a registered trademark of the PSF and
using it to name a particular conference requires that certain
standards are adhered to. For example:

1. There needs to be a CoC
2. The conference is open to the public to sign up (although you can
of course set a limit of participants)
3. Pricing should be accessible to the public for that particular locality
4. Or at least have grants such as travel grants and participation grants.

I'm not sure if they have all requirements written somewhere but these
are the most common ones which we see.

> 2. Is 3D2N too short or too long for you?

A 2D sprints with a 1D of excursion/talks will be just nice. I feel
the 3D of just sprints might be a bit too long.

> 3. Is USD100 reasonable for a 3D2N in a 5-star resort?

That is fine

> 4. July - September 2022, which month would you prefer?

Sept is better for me, just to give us more time to see how the
pandemic and the reactions of countries pan out.

> 5. What else do you think shall be included?

Nothing yet at this point.

> Your feedback is really important and appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from you, soonest possible.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Ivy Fung
>

> On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 11:16 AM Hilmi Bakhari <hi...@pycon.my> wrote:
>>
>> Dear PyCon APAC Organizers,
>>
>> I am Hilmi from PyCon Malaysia (PyConMY).
>>
>> As we are all aware, it was PyCon Malaysia's turn to host PyCon APAC 2020. We had started working to secure the venue in Kota Kinabalu (Sabah) in late 2019 until the global pandemic brought the project to a grinding halt.
>>
>> We are fortunate that the venue provided some flexibility for us to carry forward the venue booking until this year. Although the global pandemic situation is improving, we are thinking that it will still be a challenge to conduct physical conferences as during pre-pandemic time. However, we believe it is still necessary for us to conduct an activity to ensure the community that PyConMY is still active and looking for a new generation of volunteers.
>>
>> Therefore, we are exploring an option to conduct retreat-style activity for PyConMY 2022. What we have in mind is:
>> a) To limit number of participants (preferably ≤ 30 persons including volunteers)
>> b) Activities comprises of mainly development sprints sessions (the leader may be onsite or virtual)
>> c) Time frame: July - August 2022 (Sept 2022 can be considered too)
>>
>> We believe our fellow organizers have much experience in conducting similar activities and we appreciate your views and ideas. Besides that, we welcome any suggestion for open source projects suitable for such activity.
>>
>> Thank you, everyone. Stay safe.
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>> hilmi bakhari
>> PyConMY
>
> --

@PyConTW will be hosting #PyConAPAC2022 from 3rd to 4th Sept 2022.
Follow PyCon APAC here: https://twitter.com/pyconapac

Abhishek Mishra

Mar 31, 2022, 6:49:00 AM3/31/22
to Ivy Fung, Hilmi Bakhari, James Ing Wei Tang, Iqbal Abdullah, PyCon Organizers APAC
Hi Ivy and Hilmi,
I second Iqbal's points.

Best Regards,
Abhishek Mishra
http://pronoun.is/he

Q: How can I use more inclusive language? A: https://heyguys.cc

Sammy Fung

Mar 31, 2022, 8:18:08 AM3/31/22
to Abhishek Mishra, Ivy Fung, Hilmi Bakhari, James Ing Wei Tang, Iqbal Abdullah, PyCon Organizers APAC
Hi all,

I agree with Iqbal's points.

For me, I am eager to attend in-person conferences esp. all of PyCons in APAC. But it is difficult to decide right now which depends on global pandemic situations and restrictions including in my own city. I don't afraid of the pandemic but I dislike restrictions.

Yours Sincerely,
Sammy Fung
President, Open Source Hong Kong.
http://opensource.hk

Vaibhav Srivastav

Apr 3, 2022, 7:14:50 PM4/3/22
to Sammy Fung, Abhishek Mishra, Ivy Fung, Hilmi Bakhari, James Ing Wei Tang, Iqbal Abdullah, PyCon Organizers APAC
Hey Ivy & Hilmi,

Love the idea of a retreat, If possible then I'd definitely attend (september/ october would generally work better). I just want to link a similar event happening in Spain next month: https://pycamp.es/
If you are interested in knowing more about how they went about the pycamp event I'm happy to put you in touch with the organisers.

I do agree about a COC & I think there should be D&I initiatives to ensure that the event is inclusive for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing this become a reality soon :)

Cheers!
VB

Ivy Fung

Apr 3, 2022, 11:01:07 PM4/3/22
to Vaibhav Srivastav, Sammy Fung, Abhishek Mishra, Hilmi Bakhari, James Ing Wei Tang, Iqbal Abdullah, PyCon Organizers APAC
Thank you everyone for your feedback. That really helps us in making the initial decision.
We do plan to have talks and sharing by sponsors and participants. Though we do not have a solid idea just yet.

Vaibhav,
I would love to connect with the organiser of PyCamp ES. Thanks.

Keep the idea coming if you thought of anything.

Thank you.

Ivy Fung