CfP for PyCon APAC 2023

片寄里菜

Jan 28, 2023, 9:29:39 PM1/28/23
to PyCon Organizers APAC, sel...@pycon.jp, pea...@pycon.jp
Hello everyone.

I am selina (Lina Katayose), PyCon JP 2023 chairperson!
We've put together the CfP for PyCon APAC 2023 as the Japan team.
Attached is the PDF.

Please confirm.
Lina Katayose (片寄 里菜)
CfP for PyCon APAC 2023(Japan).pdf

Iqbal Abdullah

Jan 28, 2023, 11:21:19 PM1/28/23
to 片寄里菜, PyCon Organizers APAC, sel...@pycon.jp, pea...@pycon.jp
Thank you Selina for the CfP from the JP team for PyCon APAC 2023 in JP.

So to all our APAC organizer friends:
We have a proposal to have a PyCon APAC in Tokyo. The tentative date
is from October 26th (Thu) - 29th (Sun) 2023.
With this proposal from JP, I would like to start calling for other
proposals from other community members from APAC who are interested in
hosting PyCon APAC 2023.

The dateline for a counter proposal will be on the 12th Feb 2023 23:59 AoE.
If we do not have any counter proposals by then, the host for PyCon
APAC 2023 will be the JP team by default.

In the meantime, I would like to encourage all other community members
to ask questions to the JP team concerning their proposal for PyCon
APAC 2023.

Sammy Fung

Jan 29, 2023, 8:42:25 AM1/29/23
to Iqbal Abdullah, 片寄里菜, PyCon Organizers APAC, sel...@pycon.jp, pea...@pycon.jp
Hi, Iqbal and all,

Thanks to the PyCon JP team submitting a proposal, I would love to attend PyCon JP or PyCon APAC in Japan again soon, my first PyCon APAC experience in Japan is excellent 10 years ago. :)

And as Iqbal mentions, we don't have a public & official announcement of the Call for the Host of PyCon APAC 2023 before. I suggest that we can send an offical announcement in a separate email to this mailing list and confe...@python.org, the deadline should be extended to 4-6 weeks from the date of the official announcement instead of 2 weeks from today.

Yours Sincerely,
Sammy Fung
President, Open Source Hong Kong.
http://opensource.hk

Iqbal Abdullah

Jan 29, 2023, 6:13:49 PM1/29/23
to Sammy Fung, 片寄里菜, PyCon Organizers APAC, sel...@pycon.jp, pea...@pycon.jp
Hi Sammy,
Thank you for your comments.

> And as Iqbal mentions, we don't have a public & official announcement of the Call for the Host of PyCon APAC 2023 before. I suggest that we can send an offical announcement in a separate email to this mailing list and confe...@python.org, the deadline should be extended to 4-6 weeks from the date of the official announcement instead of 2 weeks from today.

Concerning calls for proposals, there was actually a call for
proposals for PyCon APAC 2023 on 31 Jul 2022 on this mailing list.
To give organizers time to prepare, in the past years we've had a
deadline by Nov and usually we'll have a host by the end of the year,
but since no one sent in a proposal, it just got extended
indefinitely.

So now with the JP team sending in a proposal, I want to expedite the
process so we give certainty on what's going to happen for 2023, and
we can move on but at the same time to be fair to other organizers,
we'll have a 2-week window for them to send in a counter proposal. It
doesn't need to be extensive: Something similar to what has been
written by the JP team is fine. If you send in a counter-proposal,
you'll have more time later to fill in the details. So something like
this:

[1] Dateline for counter proposals: 12th Feb 2023 23:59 AoE.
[2] Dateline for proposals, if we have more than one proposal at [1]:
28th Feb 2023 23:59 AoE
[3] Voting date we have more than one proposal: 5th Mar 2023

Sammy Fung

Jan 29, 2023, 11:23:59 PM1/29/23
to Iqbal Abdullah, PyCon Organizers APAC, pea...@pycon.jp, sel...@pycon.jp, 片寄里菜
Hi Iqbal,

Thanks for your useful information, I tried to search the mailing list and it was mentioned in few emails.

In the future, I hopes we have a better and clean announcement on the mailing lists like other regional conferences. At least the subject should look like “Call for Host/Participation - PyCon APAC 2024”.

Hereby are some good references of EuroPython and GUADEC.

Iqbal Abdullah

Jan 29, 2023, 11:48:20 PM1/29/23
to Sammy Fung, PyCon Organizers APAC, pea...@pycon.jp, sel...@pycon.jp, 片寄里菜
Thanks Sammy,

Those are good examples of how we can do this better in the future.

I think once we have the APAC website up, we can have these announcements on a blog that can be accessed by more people that just the organizers here.

Iqbal Abdullah

Feb 4, 2023, 10:49:05 PM2/4/23
to PyCon Organizers APAC
Hi folks,

I'm bumping this to remind us that we have another week to send a
counter proposal to be considered by the community for hosting PyCon
APAC 2023.
If you're interested in the least, and have a general idea on how you
will host PyCon APAC 2023 in your city, please reply to this thread
and we can put that into consideration.