Tie-up event with PyCon APAC (TW)

Iqbal Abdullah

Apr 8, 2022, 7:41:04 AM4/8/22
to PyCon Organizers APAC
Folks (especially our friends in TW),

We'll be having our get together call tomorrow so I wanted to float an
idea for a so-called "pre-APAC" event. Maybe we can discuss it in more
detail tomorrow.

As you might know, I help out in the PSF Trademarks WG. A few months
ago, we had an inquiry from a person who wanted to sell NFTs that
contained the Python logo in some form and was wondering about the
royalties and stuff.

This sparked a discussion internally within the Trademarks WG, and I
found the discussion interesting, most probably because I still
haven't been able to wrap my head around NFTs (its usage, value, and
how do you interpret intellectual properties with it).

Dr. David Mertz, the co-chair of the Trademarks WG had the most
opinions about this matter, and since I found the subject matter
interesting, I asked him if he would be willing to do a talk about it
for us the community, to learn better, discuss and also as a reason to
just get together, and he agreed.

I have also been talking to PyCon JP, and what I have in mind is to
have a special online talk night event, organized by PyCon JP for the
community and we'll be inviting David as our guest speaker to talk
about the subject matter.

Since I believe this is a very interesting subject, many people even
outside of our PyCon community (i.e OSS groups) would also be
interested in it. So I thought of tapping into that and using it as an
opportunity to also promote PyCon APAC later this year.

So my proposal to the PyCon APAC team is this: How about we co-brand
this also as a "pre-PyCon APAC" ramping up to PyCon APAC? It will be
organized (and using resources) from PyCon JP, but with the
co-branding maybe a PyCon APAC organizer can give a 5 minute pitch
before the talk to talk about PyCon APAC 2022? PyCon JP might also use
around 5 minutes to pitch whatever PyCon JP is doing currently. From
PyCon APAC, we might need some help to promote the talk: I think it's
an interesting subject matter and would really love it if our friends
in PyCon APAC come and enjoy the talk.

Since David is a busy person, I have taken the liberty to set a
schedule with him: He has agreed to do the talk on May 6th (Fri) 8PM
to 9PM JST (UTC+9). So maybe we can expect a 40-min talk, with some
10-min of Q&A and a 10-min pre-talk.

Please think about it, and tomorrow we can discuss the details.

--
@PyConTW will be hosting #PyConAPAC2022 from 3rd to 4th Sept 2022.
Follow PyCon APAC here: https://twitter.com/pyconapac

David Lu

Apr 8, 2022, 11:33:43 AM4/8/22
to PyCon Organizers APAC
Hi folks,

I have added the meeting minutes (https://hackmd.io/@pycontw/B1OAI6aXq) in Calendar events for tomorrow meeting. You can add your name into "Participants" and append some notes you want to discuss under "Misc/A.O.B". See you tommow.

Best,

David Lu
Iqbal Abdullah 在 2022年4月8日 星期五下午7:41:04 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道: