D&I Panel Discussion EuroPython 2022

1 view

Iqbal Abdullah

Jul 14, 2022, 4:01:29 PM7/14/22
to PyCon Organizers APAC
Folks,

Today we had our D&I Panel Discussion during EuroPython 2022. I was
part of the panel, and proposed my views from an APAC perspective. I
mentioned our challenges and also successes as part of an attempt to
give the audience different perspectives from different parts of the
world.

Our region is one of the most diverse places on the planet. Getting us
all together onto a single platform, taking ownership of our
processes, sharing a common value and benefiting from it collectively
is something I am personally proud of and highlighted as our biggest
success.

Although I did not highlight it during the discussion, of course there
are still issues we need to do better: A glaring one is our gross
underrepresentation of women within our community. Others would be
from minorities such as based on sexual orientation, and minoritites
from different social economic background.

The other panelists (Marlene, Nabanita, Tereza) and Naomi the MC also
had wonderful insights and points on things affecting their
communities in their part of the world.

If you have the time, I would like to invite you to watch it over on
YouTube here: https://youtu.be/4ytEjwywUMM (starting somewhere around
5:22:30)

(I plan to do the LT for PyCon APAC 2022 tomorrow, the last day of the
conference proper).

--
@PyConTW will be hosting #PyConAPAC2022 from 3rd to 4th Sept 2022.
Follow PyCon APAC here: https://twitter.com/pyconapac