contributing patches and fixes to pycollada (?)

Jonathan Railsback

Mar 1, 2015, 12:01:23 PM3/1/15
to pyco...@googlegroups.com
How can I contribute patches and fixes?  I've made fixes for two issues that it'd be nice to push upstream:

1.  The COLLADA spec shows an example for specifying effects which allows the surface and sampler to be specified within the technique tags.  This wont work the way pycollada is currently implemented, but it's a simple-enough fix.

2.  When used with python 3, the joint ids for the bind pose matrices end up having byte-string format which prevents you from accessing the matrix dictionaries using joint ids gleaned from elsewhere.  So for example if from a node you have a joint id "Pelvis", in the controller joint matrices member you get ids formed as such: b'Pelvis'.  The fix is in the sources to specify unicode_ instead of string_

For whatever its worth I'm picking up the blender python collada importer, which uses pycollada.

Thanks,

Jon

Jeff Terrace

Mar 1, 2015, 12:03:45 PM3/1/15
to pyco...@googlegroups.com

Pull requests are always welcome. Are you working from the master branch or the collada15spec branch? IIRC, I think blender might be based on the branch?

Jeff

Jonathan Railsback

Mar 3, 2015, 8:16:08 PM3/3/15
to pyco...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded the zip from the pycollada area on github.

So, I suspect that I am working with the master branch (I didnt do anything to change branches when I downloaded it, I probably should have looked).

I'll have a look-see and determine whether that 1.5 branch is further along in some things.

I was just starting to look at animation, and i was thinking about adding a few things there to make it easier to get data from the Animation object, but it'd be silly if that was already done in the 1.5 branch.  I was thinking about adding a tuple member to let you know what type of animation channel you have (rotateX, rotateY, rotateZ, scale, translate, or matrix), as well as adding a values member directly which would have a list of the indicated value type.  I know the info is there if you dig deep enough, but I was thinking about making it a little easier to get.

Thanks,

Jon