Noob Help

em

May 4, 2018, 7:27:50 PM5/4/18
to pycollada
Hi all.

Don't understand how to install pycollada. There's mountains of documentation that all looks Chinese to me. I've searched for a simple step by step installation guide but so far have been unsuccessful. Everything I've found so far seems geared towards programmers and engineers and I'm neither. Can anyone be so kind as to point me towards a simple layman guide to getting this module working in FreeCAD for Mac?

Thanks,

em

em

May 4, 2018, 8:44:19 PM5/4/18
to pycollada
Ran the "sudo easy_install pycollada" command in a terminal and the output after all the processing was -

Installed /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/six-1.11.0-py2.7.egg

Finished processing dependencies for pycollada

Quit and opened FreeCAD and again and I still get the error that Pycollada Not Found, Collada Support Is Disabled.

Tried following the installation advice pointing towards compiling on the Mac, but I'm getting an error to say that hombrew/science is depreciated. I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that this fragile house of cards has ben knocked over and is yet to be reassembled so that beginners like me have half a chance...

Jeff Terrace

May 4, 2018, 8:50:32 PM5/4/18
to pyco...@googlegroups.com
Note that I (as the pycollada author) didn't write the FreeCAD integration and haven't actually tried it myself. I did find some documentation here though, so maybe that will help?
https://freecadweb.org/wiki/Extra_python_modules#pyCollada

em

May 4, 2018, 8:59:12 PM5/4/18
to pycollada
Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for jumping in to help. Very much appreciate it, and apologise for the snarkiness that's sneaking in there.

I've been trying to follow the documentation you are pointing to, which seems to be mirrored or repeated on numerous pages around the web, but it seems that there are multiple dependencies that I'm guessing used to be reliable that have been depreciated over time, and Mac OS has also changed quite a bit. Apple's developers seem to be messing with sandboxing and other vain, seemingly unorganised and random attempts at thwarting any potential security vulnerabilities that make things that worked fine in BSD and Linux and therefore could be relied upon to also work in Mac OS, no longer work. All this combined makes getting something like this to work really hard for someone like me.

Apple's SIP, for example, make any directory under /Library/ read-write only by the System unless you shutdown the computer, restart in System Restore mode, disable SIP, restart, make the change, then do it again to re-enable it. So I can't change /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/ without doing this.

em