pyCloudy is not running Cloudy

Matteo Luisi

May 15, 2020, 10:58:17 AM5/15/20
to pyCloudy
Hi Christophe,

I've been using Cloudy for a while, but am new to pyCloudy. I've been struggling for a while to get it to run and was hoping you might have an idea of what's going wrong.

Following your "Using_pyCloudy_1.ipynb" notebook, everything works fine up to c_input.run_cloudy(), which does... nothing. No error messages, but the command only takes a fraction of a second to run and the output file will be blank. I made sure that the config has the correct location for cloudy.exe and the model directory, and that the permissions are all set correctly. The same thing happens if I define an environment variable that points to the executable.

I'm by no means asking you to troubleshoot my code (I'm sure you have better things to do!), but perhaps you've encountered this issue before and it's a simple fix.

Thanks!
Matteo

Christophe Morisset

May 16, 2020, 1:20:28 AM5/16/20
to pyCloudy
Hi Matteo,
That's a little bit hard to see what's happening when... nothing happens ;-)

You may set the verbosity to 4:

pc.log_.level = 4

The path to the cloudy.exe file is relative or absolute? If relative, it must be relative to the directory where the models are run, not where the script or notebook is.

You can try to use the Makefile, by:

pc.print_make_file(models_directory)

Check that there is actually a Makefile in the correct directory, check is the cloudy path is the right one, try to run "make" on a file which have a .in and no .out. Check if Cloudy run  correctly.

Then try to run cloudy using the run_cloudy command:

pc.run_cloudy(dir_=models_directory, n_proc=8, use_make=True)

Check the output file to see if it is created.

Hope it helps,
Christophe

Matteo Luisi

May 18, 2020, 10:11:23 AM5/18/20
to pyCloudy
Hi Christophe,

Thanks for your quick answer. The makefile is in the correct directory and Cloudy works fine if I run make manually on the input file generated with pyCloudy, but for whatever reason Cloudy still won't run when executing pc.run_cloudy(dir_=models_directory, use_make=True) or c_input.run_cloudy() in Python. It doesn't display an error, even on verbosity level 4, and no output file is created.

I'm beginning to think that the problem may be my Python installation. I'll try to run pyCloudy on a clean system once I have a bit more time, and will post an update if I can figure out a way to solve it.

Thanks!
-Matteo

Christophe Morisset

Jun 29, 2020, 9:41:24 PM6/29/20
to pyCloudy
Hi Matteo,
Did you succeed running Cloudy from pyCloudy on Windows? It seems that others have similar problem. I do not have Windows to check what's wrong and correct the bug.
Christophe