Error bars

Yang Zhang

Jul 31, 2009, 1:58:31 PM7/31/09
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hi, would you consider adding error bars into pycha (useful for showing
things like standard deviation)? Thanks for the nice-looking plotting
package!
--
Yang Zhang
http://www.mit.edu/~y_z/

Lorenzo Gil Sanchez

Aug 1, 2009, 4:24:57 AM8/1/09
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yang

Sure I would. Things that would help me a lot would include:

- A starting patch showing a proof of concept. Don't need to be
very polished or work in all the cases.
- Some pointers and examples of existing Error bars. I never used
them so I need some help here.

Best regards,

Lorenzo

Yang Zhang

Aug 3, 2009, 5:41:33 PM8/3/09
to py...@googlegroups.com
Here's an example from the popular plotting package I use, matplotlib:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/plot_directive/mpl_examples/pylab_examples/barchart_demo.hires.png

Lorenzo Gil Sanchez

Aug 4, 2009, 2:14:50 AM8/4/09
to py...@googlegroups.com
I see. Can you send us the data set used to draw that chart (they
don't have to be the exact numbers).

By the way, I saw your pycha fork. Go for it!

Best regards,

Lorenzo

Yang Zhang

Aug 4, 2009, 3:04:18 AM8/4/09
to py...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what the dataset was, but it seems to be one of the example
scripts in matplotlib.

I've hacked up some support for error bars in vertical bar charts in the
fork. Hope this eventually makes it back into the original repo! :)

Lorenzo Gil Sanchez

Aug 23, 2009, 5:37:45 AM8/23/09
to py...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yank,

I just want you to know that I added your error bars feature into
Pycha main repository. Now it also works for horizontal bars.

Thanks for your contribution!

Lorenzo