MacOS Server 5.6 Beta 4

Thibaut Silverman

Dec 23, 2023, 4:31:37 AM12/23/23
to pycalphad

As we all know, macOS Server 5.11.1 is no longer supported on macOS Monterey, so I'm trying my best to find an upgrade to the server app for 5.12 (or whatever the latest supported version is) so that I don't have to roll my Mac back to Big Sur.

macOS Server 5.6 beta 4

Download Zip https://t.co/5NA9ErpjuF

Apple Enterprise Support states that a version of macOS Server 5.12 is available from the "paid Developer site" and thankfully I have access to this site! However, when I search for "server" I do not get a beta of any server apps. I called and spoke with Apple Developer Support and the representative was unable to find a beta of the server app later than 5.11.

Please, Apple! The world needs the new server app that supports macOS Monterey, or access to the beta. Has anyone had success finding a beta of the macOS Server app? If so, please reply with the apple.com URL, your assistance would be greatly appreciated! (FYI - This is to continue to use Apple Profile Manager that comes as part of macOS Server, no other services are required.)

You are right that The macOS Server app has not been released at the same time as the latest version of the operating system, but that is a recent change. However, the current length of time is not typical. Here is a breakdown of the macOS release and the supported server app release:

I renamed server.app in the utilities folder and I was able to install High Sierra without problems. Then I renamed server.app back and did the Server Beta update. Most things are working but the web services are screwed and the Server Stats are always blank and never update.

Update: per discussion in comments, it appears Apple has discontinued offering a code to developers for a free copy. All downloads, except for betas or discontinued versions, are in the MAS now and must be purchased (if applicable).

As always: Replace the executables and the database of the server/client will be updated on first running it. As always downgrading the database version after upgrading it is not possible, so you should backup the old database files especially since this is a beta.

Because of the improved file deduplication and statistics calculation the largest server table has to be completely rebuild. This may take a few hours depending on how many file entries you have. It will show the progress on the web interface but is not usable during the upgrade process.

Beta 2.0.2 64bit MSI and 32/64bit EXE server installs both required UAC to be completely disabled to install. Both failed without it, EXE installer showed issue with running installer for VC. Disabled UAC temporarily, rebooted and re-ran installer without issue. User is Admin, EXE installer was right clicked and chosen to install as administrator when install issue was seen.

Following the backlash, the project would be announced to be changed to a server-released operating system at the 1998 MacWorld Expo, while Apple developed a new API called Carbon, aiming to port the legacy Mac-based libraries under the native Unix API instead of under emulation. The "Yellow Box" layer would later be known as Cocoa. Support for x86 systems would be dropped during the development of the reworked Rhapsody server system. Mac OS X Server 1.0 would ship to the public on 16 March 1999, and was supported by Apple until 2001. During the system's lifespan, an updated version supporting G4 systems would be released. Mac OS X Server 1.0 would be the first version to feature NetBoot.

Duplicati 2.0.4.19_canary_2019-06-17 is working fine on MacOS Catalina Beta with some minor tweaks. Two tweaks previously documented on this forum and a new third tweak. I could not get 2.0.4.5_beta_2018-11-28 to work reliably so skip straight to Canary.

First step is to run duplicati-server as a LaunchDaemon and the tray-icon as a LaunchAgent as documented here. Copy each plist into /Library/LaunchDaemons and /Library/LaunchAgents then load the plists into launchctl.

It sounds strange to me that the logs page would stop working. It is just a list of messages from the server (either from memory or the database). I cannot think of anything the OS could have changed to break that feature.

A lot of the value in this response will depend on what you use the Server package for. If you only use the web server for a development environment, it can easily be replaced with any version of the typical LAMP (linux-apache-mysql-php) style environment.

If you are using some of the more esoteric apps that came with the server package, you will have to upgrade them separately. But since you are asking about php and the server recognizing it, I'm assuming you are talking about the web server and that you are using something like this to see what php version apache is finding:

Since you mentioned this is not possible for the non-beta app, may I ask if it is feasible in any way for the beta one? I have it installed from LanguageTool - Grammar Checker for macOS and there is no option to specify own server URL. Would appreciate the advice, thanks.

For anyone needing this now, and can't wait for a new version of Xcode, this linker path seems to work: swift test --configuration debug -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker "$(xcode-select -p)/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/lib/swift-5.5/macosx"

Note that you may need to add the -Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker "$(xcode-select -p)/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/lib/swift-5.5/macosx" bit to your swift build commands as well, as the tests may run without re-building in some circumstances.

We're testing new features on our preview channel on AppCenter. Want to check it out? Go to Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac and select Download. You don't need to create an account or sign into AppCenter to download the beta client.

If you already have the client, you can check for updates to ensure you have the latest version. In the beta client, select Microsoft Remote Desktop Beta at the top, and then select Check for updates.

I tried installing the current release version (4.7.13.0) of Emby on another PC and Infuse does connect successfully with that. Downgrading my main Emby server back to official is going to be painful (if not impossible).

With the point of betas being to spot issues before they go live to less adventurous users, hopefully you guys can report the issue (to Emby developers) so it gets fixed before the release goes official?

I had changed the Allow this user to manage the server setting in Emby to remove admin from my user, but it appears that Infuse needs admin access (perhaps so it can trigger the install of the Infuse Sync plugin).

Starting with iOS and iPadOS 14.5, Apple will proxy Google's "Safe Browsing" service used in Safari through its own servers instead of relying on Google as a way to limit which personal data Google sees about users.

While Google doesn't know which specific URL you're trying to visit, it may collect your IP address during its interaction with Safari. Now on iOS/iPadOS 14.5, that's no longer the case. As confirmed by the Head of Engineering for WebKit, Apple will now proxy Google's Safe Browsing feature through its own servers instead of Google as a way to "limit the risk of information leak."

Screenshots posted on Reddit of incoming/outgoing connections on a device running the latest iOS 14.5 beta shows a new "proxy.safebrowsing.apple" URL, and testing by MacRumors shows the same URL alongside "safebrowsing.g.applimg.com" and "token.safebrowsing.apple" being used to proxy "Safe Browsing."

Another noteworthy feature in the upcoming update is crowdsource reporting for accidents, speed traps, and hazards within Apple Maps. Apple released the first beta to developers and public beta testers last week and says that iOS and iPadOS 14.5 will roll out to the public in the "early spring."

If you were already using the beta, which is how you got to the store, you already have the latest version. When SpamSieve 3 is finalized, the link in your receipt e-mail will switch to downloading the release version of SpamSieve 3.

With New Relic's infrastructure monitoring agent for macOS, you can monitor individual desktops or servers to analyze how your applications are performing as a whole. The macOS agent can run on your own hardware or in cloud systems such as AWS.

Help developers test beta versions of their apps and App Clips using the TestFlight app. Download TestFlight on the App Store for iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV, Watch, and iMessage. Apple Vision Pro will already have TestFlight installed.

Each build is available to test for up to 90 days, starting from the day the developer uploads their build. You can see how many days you have left for testing under the app name in TestFlight. TestFlight will notify you each time a new build is available and will include instructions on what you need to test. Alternatively, with TestFlight 3 or later, you can turn on automatic updates to have the latest beta builds install automatically.

When the testing period is over, you'll no longer be able to open the beta build. To install the App Store version of the app, download or purchase the app from the App Store. In-app purchases are free only during beta testing, and any in-app purchases made during testing will not carry over to App Store versions.

Note: To automatically download additional in-app content and assets in the background once a beta app is installed in iOS 16, iPadOS 16, or macOS 13, turn on Additional In-App Content in your App Store settings for iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

You can send feedback through the TestFlight app or directly from the beta app or beta App Clip by taking a screenshot, and you can report a crash after it occurs. If you were invited to test an app with a public link, you can choose not to provide your email address or other personal information to the developer. Apple will also receive all feedback you submit and will be able to tie it to your Apple ID.

If your device is running iOS 12.4 or earlier, tap Send Beta Feedback to compose an email to the developer. The feedback email contains detailed information about the beta app and about your iOS device. You can also provide additional information, such as necessary screenshots and steps required to reproduce any issues. Your email address will be visible to the developer when you send email feedback through the TestFlight app even if you were invited through a public link.

0aad45d008