Mid-Z Calibration for Yellow Filter

Emily Nutman

Feb 19, 2023, 8:44:44 PM2/19/23
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Hi all,

I have been trying to build a calibration for a Bruker Tracer 5g machine in EasyCal. I want to calibrate for an analysis that was previously done on the yellow filter, but I am struggling to get good results for some elements when the calibration is cross checked against the CRMs. Although the Fe and Ti values are look very good, the Rb, Sr, Nb, Y and Zr values are systematically too high (usually off by 100PPM or so). I think this might be because I used the yellow filter, instead of the green, but as I am trying to calibrate for an analysis done on yellow, is there any way to improve my calibrations and get them closer to the actual values when the CRMs are run?

Cheers,
Emily

Lee Drake

Feb 20, 2023, 10:19:27 PM2/20/23
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hi Emily,

How many standards are you working with? And what type of normalization are you using on the cal? Generally speaking there is a tradeoff between normalizing for the lower transition metals around 9 keV, and normalizing to Rayleigh scattering (Rh K-alpha line at 20 keV) to do better with the trace elements. A possible middle step is normalizing around 11 to 11.2 keV, provided you don't expect arsenic in these samples.

- Lee

--
Visit the pXRF for Cultural Heritage website at:
https://sites.google.com/site/pxrfgroup/