Tracer 5i date/time issue

RC

Mar 24, 2022, 1:17:12 PM3/24/22
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Hello all! Our Tracer 5i no longer retains the correct date and time  - it reverts to Jan 2006 every time it is turned on. When we reset it to the correct date/time, it will hold the setting only for the duration of that session. Has anyone else encountered this issue or have any thoughts on how to address it? This is a new issue for us. For context, the problem began after the instrument sat unused for a long duration during the lab shutdown (~1.5 years)

Thank you,

Rhonda Coolidge
Osteologist (CTR)
Smithsonian Institution NMNH
Repatriation Department

Kate Gabrielli

Aug 30, 2023, 9:09:19 AM8/30/23
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
I am also having this issue. It is possibly related to its being unused for a year or so before my department got it up-and-running. But it was new to start with.

Every time it is power-cycled, it resets the date. I have it in my workflow to make sure I manually reset it every time -- but this is an enormous pain, and I frequently forget. I have worked with 5i for years previously at a different institution, and this was not a problem we encountered to my knowledge.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is encountering this or if there is a more elegant fix identified,
Kate Gabrielli
Conservator

Ana Martins

Sep 15, 2023, 5:16:15 AM9/15/23
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
same issue with our tracer 5i at the Van Gogh museum...
that and connectivity problems we also still trying to solve and possibly related to the instrument driver (but will check feed before posting on that too)

Ana Martins
Van Gogh Museum

Aaron Shugar

Sep 15, 2023, 7:10:38 AM9/15/23
to px...@googlegroups.com
There is an internal battery in the 5i/g that maintains the clock. If the instrument is not turned on over long periods of time, the battery will die and will not take a charge again.  It can be sent in for repair, but from my understanding, it is pricey and not worth it.

Aaron

--
Visit the pXRF for Cultural Heritage website at:
https://sites.google.com/site/pxrfgroup/

Celia Cramer

Sep 15, 2023, 8:38:34 AM9/15/23
to px...@googlegroups.com
We have the same issue at Sydney uni but I've embraced the idea of living in a pre-covid era... ie I just ignore it and keep working.