Tracer 5i USB connectivity issues-cannot enable USB connection

Vanessa Muros

Jun 26, 2024, 6:06:58 AMJun 26
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am trying to collect data  with our Tracer 5i using Artax via the USB cable but I am having some trouble. I logged into the Tracer using "Supervisor" mode and went into the "Connections" menu of "System Setup". I saw that the USB connection is no longer enabled, but I cannot seem to enable it.  The USB option is grayed out. I can enable the bluetooth and wifi connection option but not USB. Does anyone know how to make the USB connection "enable" option active so I can select it?  I am sure there is a totally obvious step to do this that I am completely missing.

Thank you!

best,
Vanessa

---
Vanessa Muros, PhD
Archaeological Conservator & Director,
Experimental and Archaeological Sciences Lab (EASL)
Cotsen Institute, UCLA
A419 Fowler Building
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1510
vmu...@ucla.edu

The Cotsen Institute of Archaeology at UCLA acknowledges the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples as the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar (the Los Angeles basin and So. Channel Islands). As a land grant institution, we pay our respects to the Honuukvetam (Ancestors), ‘Ahiihirom (Elders) and ‘Eyoohiinkem (our relatives/relations) past, present and emerging.

Tasos Asvestas

Jun 26, 2024, 7:32:07 AMJun 26
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Well i am not sure ( in the past i had the same issue after using wirelessly the tracer) but i suppose that you should plug in your Tracer to usb prior of booting and then boot the instrument and login usb settings should appear then.

Tasos

massimo beltrame

Jun 26, 2024, 8:31:39 AMJun 26
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hello Vanessa,
To use artax you must connect to the equipmemt by wifi.
Cheers,
Massimo

--
Visit the pXRF for Cultural Heritage website at:
https://sites.google.com/site/pxrfgroup/

Vanessa Muros

Jun 26, 2024, 9:14:30 AMJun 26
to px...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tasos,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried selecting USB when connecting to the laptop but it still didn’t work. I am now wondering if the real issue is the laptop doesn’t recognize the Tracer?

 I will try to go through all the past suggestions from the group to get the PC to recognize the xrf or install the software on another computer and see if that does it.

best,
Vanessa

---
Vanessa Muros, PhD
Archaeological Conservator & Director,
Experimental and Archaeological Sciences Lab (EASL)
Cotsen Institute, UCLA
A419 Fowler Building
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1510
vmu...@ucla.edu

The Cotsen Institute of Archaeology at UCLA acknowledges the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples as the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar (the Los Angeles basin and So. Channel Islands). As a land grant institution, we pay our respects to the Honuukvetam (Ancestors), ‘Ahiihirom (Elders) and ‘Eyoohiinkem (our relatives/relations) past, present and emerging.

--
Visit the pXRF for Cultural Heritage website at:
https://sites.google.com/site/pxrfgroup/
---

Arlen Heginbotham

Jun 26, 2024, 12:29:30 PMJun 26
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vanessa,

You can definitely use USB.  Ironically, I have written down the directions to switch from USB to bluetooth, but not the other way because I never had a problem with that.  Ugh.  I noticed though that I put a note to make sure to UNcheck the USB enable box before switching over.  Have you tried manually UNchecking wifi before trying to enable USB?  I'll attach my Quickstart guide in case anyone finds it useful.

Jun 28, 2024, 6:38:20 PMJun 28
to px...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

If the cable is not connected or not ok the USB can be greyed out.

It also can have lost the internal connection of the usb. That would require the instrument to be opened.

Try the cable on a different usb port of the pc.

Alexander

Vanessa Muros

Jun 29, 2024, 9:53:12 AMJun 29
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arlen,

Thanks so much for your suggestion and sharing your quick start guide. I did check and uncheck both wifi and bluetooth and nothing happened.  What I ended up doing today was just loading the software onto another laptop and the USB connection worked with no problem. I didn't even need to select it, it selected itself!  There may be something wrong with the USB port of the project laptop I was using or something else is going on.  But for the moment I have a temporary fix to conduct the analysis and I can leave figuring out what's wrong with the other laptop to someone else =)

best,
Vanessa

---