Tracer 5g software

Diana Blumberg

Dec 15, 2023, 10:42:31 AM12/15/23
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Hello everyone,

Our university department has recently acquired a Tracer 5g along with the T5 Benchtop Stand (not the smaller desktop stand). I am able to make everything work using my own personal laptop, using the Remote Control and Data Stream software. There are some issues with university firewalls and admin permissions, of course, which I am working with our IT colleagues on.

We also have an older Tracer III-SD, using S1PXRF software to acquire the spectra. We have also been using Artax/Spectra to further analyse the data.

Questions:

(1) I'm assuming Artax software only runs Artax instruments (and a couple of others), but will not connect to or run a Tracer 5g, correct?

(2) Is there an updated version of S1PXRF that we can use with our Tracer 5g? I have downloaded an updated file from the Bruker website called "s1 update to 2.6.56.370", but when I unzip it, I get a file called "TitanUpdateTo.2.6.56.370.exeinstall" which doesn't open.  I've never seen the file extension "exeinstall".  Is this a mistake?

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Diana Blumberg
Archaeology Technician
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
United Kingdom

Lucas Ryan Martindale Johnson

Dec 28, 2023, 3:00:45 PM12/28/23
to px...@googlegroups.com, dia...@gmail.com
Dear Diana.

Artax will connect to the 5g. I just ran a test and it works. You may have to set up a method for specific materials so your kV, current etc. are correct.

There is no new version of S1PXRF that will run the 5g. S1PXRF (and the Excel sheet cal method) is no longer a serviced program with Bruker. The only way to even use it is to convert PDZ 25 to PDZ 24. I use Bruker Instrument Tools (BIT) to record spectra and navigate the files on the instrument.

Hope this helps. Email me directly if necessary (lucas.r....@gmail.com or lu...@farwestern.com).

Best,
-Lucas

--
Visit the pXRF for Cultural Heritage website at:
https://sites.google.com/site/pxrfgroup/

Diana Blumberg

Jan 4, 2024, 10:41:35 AMJan 4
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Dear Lucas,

Thanks very much for your reply.  We finally managed to get our 5g to work with Artax on the laptop provided by our IT Services.  However, Artax will not open without admin permission/password, even if I try to run it on my own personal laptop.

Have you, or anyone else here, had this issue?

Best wishes
Diana

Lucas Ryan Martindale Johnson

Jan 4, 2024, 11:09:07 AMJan 4
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diane. Yes, I believe everyone has this experience. Have IT give you local administration privileges and the password is “test”. I get an admin window each time I open it. It is the nature of the program because it does not install like a normal program. It runs locally each time you open it.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Diana Blumberg

Jan 5, 2024, 10:53:02 AMJan 5
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Hi Lucas,

Thanks very much. I finally got Artax to work with the instrument! Now to do some testing and write a standard operating procedure...

Best regards
Diana

Lucas Ryan Martindale Johnson

Jan 5, 2024, 11:11:15 AMJan 5
to px...@googlegroups.com
Great, Diana. Those documents can be a challenge to create.
Best,
-Lucas

Sent from Gmail Mobile