trying to find acquisition parameters for Bruker 5i calibration files

Vanessa Muros

Mar 25, 2024, 4:05:46 PMMar 25
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

As a long time user of the Bruker SD-III I was in the habit of noting in my reports the acquisition parameters of my qualitative XRFanalysis which included voltage, current, atmosphere, spot size, and filters.  I would like to do the same for my quantitative analysis with the 5i.  The info listed in some of the calibration files data tables only lists the voltage, for others it's the voltage and filter but not the current.  Is there somewhere within the instrument's software where I can get this information?  I can't see it when I go into "Applications" or "Settings" in the menu.

I guess another question on this topic is how do people report their acquisition parameters when using a particular calibration application? Do you just say you used "Mudrock Dual" and there's no need to add any other information or are the details of the calibration and settings being included in reports and publications?

thanks!

best,
Vanessa

---
Vanessa Muros, PhD
Archaeological Conservator & Director,
Experimental and Archaeological Sciences Lab (EASL)
Cotsen Institute, UCLA
A419 Fowler Building
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1510
vmu...@ucla.edu

The Cotsen Institute of Archaeology at UCLA acknowledges the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples as the traditional land caretakers of Tovaangar (the Los Angeles basin and So. Channel Islands). As a land grant institution, we pay our respects to the Honuukvetam (Ancestors), ‘Ahiihirom (Elders) and ‘Eyoohiinkem (our relatives/relations) past, present and emerging.

Chris Peterson

Mar 28, 2024, 2:52:40 PMMar 28
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Hello Vanessa,

I am not sure if you were able to find your answer yet or not, but I may be able to help with at least part of your question!

On the instrument itself, I do not believe it will show you the information you are looking for, more so if it is a calibration pre-installed on the device. One workaround is to take a .PDZ file completed in that calibration and open it in the BIT (Bruker Instrument Tools) software on you PC. When viewing the Spectra, you can then select Options in the upper left of the application, and click Spectrum Info. This will give you all of the information available for that scan. It is important to note that in most scans, they are dual-phase calibrations, so you will need to view both scans PDZs (PDZ:1 & PDZ:2 are how it shows up in BIT) that are listed under that PDZ. I will attach screenshots for clarity!

Note: This was a scan using the 5G and the PlantF1 calibration, but the same process will get you the information you will need for MUDROCK or any other calibration.

Hope this helps a little,
Chris

Plants Calibration 2.png
Plants Calibration 1.png
Plants Calibration 1-2.png
Plants Calibration 2-2.png

Arlen Heginbotham

Mar 30, 2024, 12:41:27 PMMar 30
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Hi Vanessa,

If you save (dump) your files as 'complete .csv' (which is good practice for creating a more archival file format), you can see the parameters in that file as well.

Arlen

Arlen Heginbotham, Ph.D.
Conservator
The J. Paul Getty Museum
1200 Getty Center Drive, Su. 1000
Los Angeles, CA 90049

Mar 30, 2024, 12:41:27 PMMar 30
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Use the the BRUKER instrument tools (BIT) and open the PDZ file in the spectrum viewer.
Under spectrum info (for each beam you will find the exact acquisition parameters.
The software is free and available from BRUKERSUPPORT.com.

Alexander

--
Visit the pXRF for Cultural Heritage website at:
https://sites.google.com/site/pxrfgroup/
---

Alexander Seyfarth Mineralogical Analysis
Janesville USA

Vanessa Muros

Apr 1, 2024, 4:33:07 PMApr 1
to px...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for your suggestions to find the parameters.  I was able to see the parameters in Spectrum Viewer (thanks Chris for the screenshots!).  My filter field has a number instead of the filter description so I will need to check the instrument to see which filter is in which slot.

Arlen,  thanks for letting me know about saving the files as .csv on the 5i.  I didn't realize it was an option.   I have been going around it in a very roundabout way by converting the files to v24 in CalTool Kit and then converting to .csv in S1PXRF. This seems like it would be much easier and save time!  I will look into it once our XRF comes back from the field.

best,
Vanessa

---