Protective windows for Tracer III-V+?

Kirsten Travers Moffitt

Mar 9, 2022, 11:10:23 AM3/9/22
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know where I could purchase some ultralene gridded protective windows (sample temps <150C) for our Tracer III-V+? Bruker is no longer selling them (our instrument is considered obsolete), and we are down to our last one!
Thank you!
Kirsten Moffitt
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Tracer III-V+ protective windows.JPG

cos...@famsf.org

Mar 9, 2022, 12:46:13 PM3/9/22
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Hi Kirsten,

I recently ran into this dilemma with our Tracer III-V+. A colleague recommended using a piece of Dartek and securing it with blue tape. It's a work-around, but it does indeed work!

Thanks,
Colleen

Colleen O'Shea
Associate Objects Conservator
pronouns: she/her/hers

Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
de Young / Legion of Honor

415 750 3649

Aaron Shugar

Mar 9, 2022, 7:45:42 PM3/9/22
to px...@googlegroups.com
I bought 1 inch wide double sided tape and made an oval cutter using brass tubing (filing down the inside to make it sharp). I use the cutter on the tape and then use any polymeric film - Dartek works, I prefer thinner ones I buy from

Aaron

--
Visit the pXRF for Cultural Heritage website at:
https://sites.google.com/site/pxrfgroup/

chantal

Mar 10, 2022, 6:22:10 AM3/10/22
to px...@googlegroups.com
We get ours from Choice Analytical in NSW if you want to support a more local business

Chantal

Alexander Seyfarth Mineralogical Analysis

Mar 22, 2022, 1:26:00 PM3/22/22
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
There are multiple options pending on your setup
Some TRACER III SD or IV have the GRID separate from the window and you can just use a 4 micron PROLNE foil window from the S1 TITAN or make one using PROLENE cut circles from CHEMPLEX and some Scotch tape.
For those with the integrated window you can recycle and remove the grid and attach a new PROLENE 4 micron foil and use tape around it.
If there is no grid left look for the NEW TRACER Vacuum windows for the T5 and adapt them.
I would believe that TRACER IV or III SD windows are also compatible if they have the grid… The latter can be made by yourself out of a sturdy Mylar film.
PROLENE is a trademark from CHEMPLEX in the US and a “clean” 4 micron Polypropylene PP. Check the CHEMPLEX resellers on the website.
Any 4 micron or less CLEAN PP can be used e.g. FLUXANA, SPEX CERTIPREP etc…
There are some with a sticky ring :) called protection windows which are used on the CTX…
Alexander

Alexander Seyfarth Mineralogical Analysis
Janesville USA

Kirsten Travers Moffitt

Mar 30, 2022, 10:47:53 AM3/30/22
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Thank you everyone for your responses! This has been extremely helpful! Also thank you to Elliot Blair at University of AL who mailed me some windows from their now-defunct Tracer.
Much appreciated!
Kirsten