Pdz files.

Tasos Asvestas

May 5, 2023, 9:07:35 AM5/5/23
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Good morning everyone,

Lately i am trying to access the info that a pdz file contains. As you may allready know pdzs are in binary format. Although you can convert them to txts or rtx and access the spectrum data with any text editor, i  would like to have access to the "raw" information.
Does anyone know the pdz's structure?
Could you please share any ideas?

Tasos

Lucas Martindale Johnson

May 5, 2023, 11:02:39 AM5/5/23
to px...@googlegroups.com
What kind of information are you referring to? Count rate, etc?
-Lucas

--
Visit the pXRF for Cultural Heritage website at:
https://sites.google.com/site/pxrfgroup/

Elton

May 5, 2023, 11:02:43 AM5/5/23
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Tasos!
I have this software that converts pdz files to csv. CalToolkitEC Setup 1.62.0.rar

image.png

Lucas Martindale Johnson

May 5, 2023, 11:50:46 AM5/5/23
to px...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Elton. I can also share a recent version of the software. I recently purchased a new 5g and the caltoolkitEC had a bug, so they sent me a more recent version. I believe it is the same as you shared.
Also, depending on what information is sought from a PDZ, using the Excel S1Cal macro (from the Tracer III days, and after converting to PDZ24 in CalTookKitEC), you can see voltage, current, time, and net counts for known/expected elements similar to if you average counts from channels in a .csv file. The PDZ tab in Excel has a lot of spectra metadata.
-Lucas

Tasos Asvestas

May 5, 2023, 4:14:24 PM5/5/23
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Thanks for your answers!
I allready know about  caltoolkitEC, and i use it to seperate pdz's. The information i would like to access among other is the temperatures that are recorded. I am trying an experiment on taking hundrends even thousands of measurements in a  couple of hours using the Tracer. and i would like to be able to monitor "live" my status.

Lucas Martindale Johnson

May 5, 2023, 5:32:30 PM5/5/23
to px...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the Excel macro pdz tab has the ambient temp as a column. A sample I looked at shows 97-110F at 40kev. It is not live-time, but can be updated as you pull files in (PDZ-24 format). Also, the S1PXRF software shows the temp at the bottom, but the new instruments do not use this software. I am not sure if BIT, Bruker Inst. Tools, does this.

Lucas Martindale Johnson

May 5, 2023, 5:32:30 PM5/5/23
to px...@googlegroups.com
I believe the excel macro has temp of tube in a column

Tasos Asvestas

May 11, 2023, 8:19:27 PM5/11/23
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Hello and thank you both for your help,
May i ask what do you mean by the excel macro? Because i am not familiar with this approach. Is there a guide with instructions?

Lucas Martindale Johnson

May 13, 2023, 8:08:30 AM5/13/23
to px...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tasos,

The macro being referenced was used with the Tracer-III SD systems and is not available with the new Tracers, unless you convert all PDZs to version 24 from 25. What system are you using? If it is a new 5i or 5g, I am not sure how to monitor internal temperatures.

-Lucas