Praseodymium (?) in Cu spectra

Kirsten Travers Moffitt

Jun 7, 2024, 11:41:46 AMJun 7
to pXRF for Cultural Heritage
Hello all, I recently analyzed a copper object that should date to the 18th century and the spectra contained mostly copper with a small amount of lead and then two very small peaks at 5.04 and 5.41keV which seem to align with the element Praseodymium (confirmed with deconvolution). Has anyone ever encountered this element in copper before? Or am I seeing some matrix effect? Any thoughts would be helpful. I am attaching a pic of the spectrum detail. I collected the data with a Buker Tracer III-V+ Si-Pin detector at 40kV, 3.6uA, no vac, yellow filter for 120 seconds (I re-ran the analyses at 1.5uA and got the same results). Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks! Kirsten Moffitt please email me at kmof...@cwf.org (I just noticed my email is incorrect above)Name_boss_verso_40kV_3.6uA_novac_yellowfilter_120s.png

Lee Drake

Jun 7, 2024, 5:40:01 PMJun 7
to px...@googlegroups.com
Any chance it is the Vanadium K-alpha line? See 2.51 (page 127) here: https://www.rsc.org/suppdata/books/178801/9781788014229/bk9781788014229.pdf. The L-beta doesn't quite align right, and the L-alpha should lean just a hair further to the right based on the relative intensities of the emissions.

- Lee

--
Visit the pXRF for Cultural Heritage website at:
https://sites.google.com/site/pxrfgroup/

Arlen Heginbotham

Jun 7, 2024, 5:40:04 PMJun 7
to px...@googlegroups.com, kmof...@cwf.org
One possibility would be that it is Vanadium.  4.95 and 5.43.  Has been intentionally added to copper apparently...
Arlen

Arlen Heginbotham, Ph.D.
Conservator
The J. Paul Getty Museum
1200 Getty Center Drive, Su. 1000
Los Angeles, CA 90049

Jun 13, 2024, 4:30:44 PMJun 13
to px...@googlegroups.com, kmof...@cwf.org

Rounding to 1st digit will be fine for a PinDiode setup …

Pr LA1 is at 5 kEV and 5.5 . The Escape Peak from Cu is at 6.26 and very low

V LA is at 5 keV and KB1 at 5.4 which matches and is more probable than Pr .

LONDON X-RAY CONSULTING GROUP LLC

ANNUAL XRF SHOURT COURSE ONLINE

FORMERLY WESTERN ONTARIO XRF COURSE

WWW.LONDONXRAYCONSULTINGGROUP.COM

Alejandro Germanier

Jun 13, 2024, 4:31:04 PMJun 13
to px...@googlegroups.com, kmof...@cwf.org
Hello

The L lines (L-alpha and L-beta) of Praseodymium have similar intensities, as seen in the Lead lines. In this spectrum the lines have the approximate intensity ratio of K-alpha and K-beta, according to the previous comments, it may be Vanadium.