Upgrade from 1.8+ to latest version

Steven Najdovski

Apr 8, 2024, 10:25:01 PMApr 8
to pwm-general
Current version we are experiencing quite a few issues where

Our Service desk and Desktop support have noticed that when users are trying to set security questions an error occurs consistently. This error PWM 5006 does not allow the user to set answers and not reset their password.

The portal also has an issue where logging will load indefinitely unless /private/login is removed after clicking sign-in

So if we were to upgrade from 1.8+ to latest version first will this maybe fix the issues and second will I loose any of the current configurations that we have currently?

Jason Rivard

Apr 12, 2024, 7:46:44 PMApr 12
to pwm-general
Depending on what specific version of v1.8 your running its going on 10+ years old without patches.  Running this old version on the public internet is an extreamley precarious situation, and I would urge you to upgrade as soon as possible.

PWM configuration is contained entirely in the PWM configuration XML file.  We generally maintain backward compatibility with older file versions, but there is no guarantee - you will need to try it.  You may be better off starting with a new config and have the old file open to reference as needed.

As for the error your getting, it may or may not be fixed by updating.  You will need to look at logs or enable detailed error messages to get more information about the error that is occurring.  The most cause of similar errors is LDAP permissions.