PWM SSL Not Working

Beaches Beignets

Jun 21, 2024, 1:51:46 PM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to pwm-general
Hello All -

I've gone through previous issues first and can't seem to find an exact match.

I set up PWM on a windows server running Ubuntu (Apache/Tomcat9).

I fought with it for a while getting the Reverse Proxy working and finally got that to a point.

SSL is working if I go to https://localhost/pwm (of course it looks funny and throws errors because that URL doesn't match the domain name - but I can see the correct certificate is loaded).

If I use a CURL command from within Ubuntu it's successful going straight to the FQDN.

If I try to hit the site via https://mydomainhere/pwm  the browser immediately bombs and says connection refused.  I've been going in circles for a number of hours on this and have gotten nowhere.

I went into PWM and added https://mydomainhere/pwm as the "Site uRL" but is there something else I need to be setting up in PWM, or any other insight into what could be going on here?

Again, I can't hit the site using https://mydomainhere/pwm from the local server or a client machine on the network, but it does load the page with https://localhost/pwm but with cert errors.

Jason Rivard

Jun 21, 2024, 6:34:11 PM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to pwm-general
You didn't say which PWM artifact your using, so I'm guessing it's the WAR which means your supplying your own tomcat.  In this case PWM isn't a part of the equation yet.   Try removing PWM from tomcat and get tomcat to work first.   Tomcat alone has a welcome page at the root url you can test.  Be sure that is working before adding PWM.

Your also saying your running apache in reverse proxy mode, which adds a lot of complexity.  If your doing this just for PWM it's not necessary, and I'd recommend not using apache at all.  You can just use tomcat's built in HTTP server.  In most cases, adding an apache reverse proxy won't provide any performance benefit.
As to what's going on with tomcat, It's hard to guess based on what you said.  You can try searching google for tomcat setup issues like your describing.

Hope this helps.