New release

Peter Gumm

Jun 9, 2021, 9:10:10 AM6/9/21
to PVS verification system
Hi Paolo,

the fact that each new release of PVS is immediately active in all installations has its pros and cons. Mostly it is a pleasant surprise that new features suddenly work, but sometimes, e.g. when the new version has a bug, users are confused, as things that used to work, don't work anymore.
This happened today, when I tried to do a proof, where normally a menu with suggestions appears from which you can choose one. But this does not work anymore.
For instance, when typing
inst -1 "\lamd
then, after "\lambda" appears in the pop-up-menu, hitting return, does not work, rather it leads to an error.
It took me a couple of other tries until I realized that you might have possibly released a new - buggy- version without notification.
For me this was not a big problem, but if my students are working on their assignments, they are probably confused. Would it not make sense to somehow flag, when a new version is released and have the users actively accept it, or would that run counter to VS-Studio philosophy?
There are two more little issues (with the old version) that I will report to you separately.
Best regards,
H. Peter

Paolo Masci

Jun 9, 2021, 9:37:15 AM6/9/21
to PVS verification system
Hi Peter,
Thank you for bringing this up.
- There is an option in vscode that can be used to toggle between manual/automatic updates. It's in the Extensions tab,  '...' menu -> Auto update extensions -> none (see also attached screenshot)
- The issue with "\lam in the terminal is actually a design change -- autocompletion is now triggered only with TAB. In the previous version it was triggered also with Enter. This design change was introduced because some users were complaining that they had to press Enter twice for entering a command. I will see what I can do to improve the behavior of the Enter key so that everyone is happy.
-To use a previous version of vscode-pvs, users can click on the wheel icon of the PVS extension, and choose "select another version" (see second screenshot). An input box will allow the selection of any previous versions.

I hope the above resolves some of the problems with the updates, I'm open to suggestions to improve the situation.

Thanks,
Paolo
select-another-version.png
auto-update.png