Irradiance Data

Rishabh Gaur

Jan 14, 2023, 12:53:13 AM1/14/23
to pvlib-python
Hi

Is there any website which can provide me irradiance data (Clearsky) , dhi, dni and ghi for the future ?

like i get from Pvlib but its a generated i feel. Like so true as we get via satellite.

thanks in advance

Brighton Mabasa

Jan 14, 2023, 2:09:17 AM1/14/23
to Rishabh Gaur, pvlib-python
Hi Gaur,

Using pvlib clearsky irradiances were validated and proven, even though it is generated it gives accurate clear sky irradiances.
For future, you can use the Ineichen clear sky model as it only require Linke Turbidity (TL) that can be retrieved from SoDa/ CAMS as monthly climatologies and just give the date , you can generate 1 minute clearsky values for the entire 2023.

Regards,

Mark Mikofski

Jan 14, 2023, 3:33:58 PM1/14/23
to pvlib-python
If I understand the Rishabh correctly, you are looking for measured clear sky conditions? Perhaps try SURFRAD measurements:
Then you can use the clear sky filter to get clear sky measurements

Mark Mikofski

Jan 14, 2023, 3:42:37 PM1/14/23
to pvlib-python
You can also check comparisons between 10 years of SURFRAD measurements versus 4 clearly models in this paper coated by several pvlib contributors (including me 😉):
10.1109/PVSC.2017.8366314

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 14, 2023, at 12:34 PM, Mark Mikofski <bwana...@gmail.com> wrote:

If I understand the Rishabh correctly, you are looking for measured clear sky conditions? Perhaps try SURFRAD measurements:

Rishabh Gaur

Jan 17, 2023, 12:22:35 AM1/17/23
to pvlib-python
Hi ,

thanks for your answers. Actually, I want forecast of ghi, gni and dhi which i can use to get pv output.
I am new to this Pvlib library.
I tried using GFS first to get processed data in various versions of pvlib the error i got in version 0.7.0 is
"Variable: Total_cloud_cover_high_cloud_Mixed_intervals_Average is not contained in the requested dataset"

Then i tried clear_sky to get direct values of those but it seems not to be accurate. Basically i want the PV Power Output for future lets say for 1 or 2 months in future.
I am looking of Europe.

Thanks in advance

Will Hobbs

Jan 25, 2023, 3:03:33 PM1/25/23
to pvlib-python
The pvlib.forecast module has been deprecated and will be removed in the future (unless someone wants to maintain it and works something out with the maintainers).

For a 1-2 month ahead forecast it could be challenging to find a numerical weather prediction (NWP) model that goes out that far. NOAA's GEFS goes out to 35 days for some runs (16 days for most runs, I think). I'm not aware of any python-based solar modeling tools that make use of the extended portion of GEFS, or any other NWPs that go out beyond 16 days.

Using some for of average of multiple historical years as a climatological forecast would very likely be just as accurate as a true NWP forecast that goes out to 2 months.

Will

Marvin Valentin

Feb 2, 2023, 12:37:30 PM2/2/23
to pvlib-python

This is an interesting issue for me. I am also looking how to extract irradiance data like 7 days from now. I am using GFS but its seems not to work in Europe.
Thanks,
marvin