PV system

Suraj Bhanu Jat

Jan 26, 2023, 11:46:32 AM1/26/23
to pvlib-python
Hello

How can I define a PV system that includes the following information?

The PV panels are oriented to the south with a 40 degree inclination. The PV modules are comprised of 20x200Wp + 20x210Wp + 20x210Wp + 19x220Wp at a total PV Power of 16.580Wp (Watt-peak) using 4x4300W inverter.

system=PVSystem(modules_per_string=20,strings_per_inverter=2,surface_tilt=40,
                inverter='inverter_name')

are the modules per string and the strings per inverter correct?
Is there any information missing for defining the PVsystem?
I have defined it in this way is it correct and if not can someone please suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Suraj

cwh...@sandia.gov

Jan 26, 2023, 12:06:31 PM1/26/23
to pvlib-python
Hi Suraj,

If understand correctly, there are 4 inverters, and each inverter has a single DC array. The DC arrays are different.

If that's correct: pvlib doesn't (yet) support a system with multiple inverters. In this case, you define four systems, one for each inverter. For the three DC arrays with 20 modules, I think you meant that there are 10 modules in each of two parallel strings for each inverter (otherwise, there would be 20x2=40 modules in each array). For the DC array with 19 modules, i.e., one string of length 10 and a second string of length 9, you would need to use two Array instances. For this array, don't use the PVSystem parameters modules_per_string and strings_per_inverter; the module count is specified when you define the Array.

Cheers,

Cliff

Hannan Rhodes

Mar 1, 2023, 12:34:08 PM3/1/23
to pvlib-python
Hello Cliff, so there is no current way to support multiple inverters for one system?

Why not include an inverter parameter at the array level?

cwh...@sandia.gov

Mar 1, 2023, 12:36:55 PM3/1/23
to pvlib-python
There's no conceptual barrier to having multiple inverters. The current design of ModelChain and PVSystem methods assume a single inverter. The Array is envisioned as a group of modules with the same orientation, so I don't think we'd move inverter models to that level.

Pull requests welcome.

Cliff