Floating PV in Google Summer of Code

Ioannis Sifnaios

May 26, 2024, 2:50:24 PMMay 26
to pvlib-python
Hi!
I am excited to announce that, this summer, I will be participating in the Google Summer of Code! The title of my project is "Floating Solar - Enabling modeling of floating PV with pvlib", where I will be adding floating PV temperature models in the pvlib python’s library. During the project, I plan to add the following functions to pvlib:

Calculation of ambient parameters for floating PV:
  • Albedo for water bodies (non-ocean) as described here
Module temperature for floating PV:
  • Gallery example of the expansion of the Faiman expression for floating PV (using the methodologies from here and here)
  • Addition of the Lindholm model (described here)
  • Addition of the Rahaman thermal model (described here)

This is the link to my official GSOC project description and the link to the blog post I made about it. Also, this is the link to my first issue in pvlib!

Any feedback is welcome!

Cheers,
Ioannis