New single-diode model fitting paper

Mark Campanelli

Jul 18, 2024, 11:43:36 PM (20 hours ago) Jul 18
to pvlib-python
Greetings pvlib community,

  I’m happy to announce that my paper entitled “Comparison of calibrations of a single-diode model of photovoltaic module performance using performance matrix vs. specification datasheet” has been published in Solar Energy. Please reach out to me for a copy for your research if you do not have institutional access.

  I think it could be valuable to try to adapt the two fitting approaches to the various single-diode models available in pvlib. Also, I extend my genuine thanks to the PVPMC for publicly providing the IEC 61853 measurements. (Can someone at Sandia please tell DoE? 🙂)

Warm regards,

Mark Campanelli
Intelligent Measurement Systems LLC
Try PVfit today!

cwh...@sandia.gov

12:59 PM (6 hours ago) 12:59 PM
to pvlib-python
Thanks for sharing, Mark.

The "magic" here is the use of scipy.odr with implicit=True, thereby sidestepping the requirement that the model function solve the single diode equation, and avoiding a requirement that the model function return the response values (i.e., Isc)? Do I have that correct?

Cliff

Mark Campanelli

1:45 PM (6 hours ago) 1:45 PM
to cwh...@sandia.gov, pvlib-python
Hi Cliff,

  Yes, the implicit option of ODR makes it much nicer to use on the SDM (and it’s fast!). The formulation of PVfit’s SDM in terms of F=Isc/Isc0 also makes the matrix-fitting formulation a bit more direct, IMHO. This “F benefit” is also seen in certain spectral corrections, like the one I presented at PVPMC this spring.

  Note that I had problems using ODR for the spec-sheet fit, which was not over-determined. I’m still not sure why, as it appeared to generate a numerical error somewhere in the Fortran code.