What is the equivalent of a "mtHIT" cell type?

Miguel Sánchez de León Peque

Nov 23, 2020, 4:15:46 PM11/23/20
to pvlib-python
Hi,

Reading some .PAN files, I can see the "Technol" field may be set to "mtSiMono" or "mtSiPoly". When estimating the CEC parameters of the module, the translation to pvlib's `celltype` for these values, seems trivial: "monoSi" and "polySi", respectively.

However, I see some "mtHIT" too. From the datasheet, I suspect it may be misspelled, and it should be "mtHJT" instead, from HeteroJunction Technology.

Is there an equivalent of "mtHJT" to use as `celltype` in pvlib/SAM? Otherwise, what would be the best match? I am not sure about the implication of choosing one or another when passing that parameter to the simulation.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Miguel

Anton Driesse

Nov 24, 2020, 5:41:19 AM11/24/20
to pvlib-...@googlegroups.com

There really are HIT modules from Sanyo/Panasonic.

Anton

PV Performance Labs Germany
Emmy-Noether-Str. 2
79110 Freiburg
Germany

+49-761-8973-5603 (Office)
+49-174-532-7677 (Mobile)

www.pvperformancelabs.com

Miguel Sánchez de León Peque

Nov 24, 2020, 6:49:11 AM11/24/20
to Anton Driesse, pvlib-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Randy for your note and Anton for your comment.

Just in case I did not ask my question clearly (sometimes I do that :-D), I wonder which `celltype` I should be using when calling `pvlib.ivtools.sdm.fit_cec_sam()` to fit parameters for a HIT/HJT module. If there is currently no `celltype` for this technology, which one could I use as a replacement to have the best approximation?

It seems the currently-supported values are: 'monoSi', 'multiSi', 'polySi', 'cis', 'cigs', 'cdte' and 'amorphous'.

Thanks again for your help and best regards,

cwh...@sandia.gov

Nov 24, 2020, 10:55:40 AM11/24/20
to pvlib-python
TL:DR  Within pvlib, I'd suggest using celltype = monosi when working with a HIT module.

HJT = heterojunction technology
HIT = Heterojuction with Intrinsic Thin Layer, this is Sanyo's name

I've no idea which term was earlier in use. The cells are monocrystalline silicon sandwiched between thin amorphous silicon layers. The a-Si layers reduce recombination losses, which increases both Voc and conversion efficiency. That's as much as I understand of the underlying physics.

pvlib.ivtools.sdm.fit_cec_sam() passes the celltype string through to a SAM function that calculates the CEC model parameters. I don't know exactly what the SAM function does with that value, probably assigns a bandgap energy value and perhaps initial guesses for parameters. In SAM's CEC module file, Sanya HIT modules are assigned celltype 'Mono-c-Si', see any of the "HIP" series modules.

The only other use of 'cell_type' in pvlib is to select parameters for the First Solar spectral modifier model. As an aid to that model, there's a function pvlib.pvsystem._infer_cell_type which can map from the CEC or Sandia module data files (fields Technology or Material, respectively) to a cell_type string expected by the First solar model. In that mapping pvlib assigns HIT == monosi. I don't recall exactly why we made this choice, but it still seems reasonable, since most of the conversion to photocurrent will be done in the mono-Si layer of an HIT cell.

If your objective is to match (as close as pvlib can) Pvsyst behavior, I don't think that Pvsyst applies a spectral modifier to HIT cells - see the Help page titled FirstSolar Spectral Correction.

Cheers,

Cliff

Mark Campanelli

Nov 24, 2020, 2:11:04 PM11/24/20
to pvlib-python
Along these lines, does anyone know what PVsyst uses for the band gap of the mtHIT Technol?

Furthermore, does PVsyst let one specify a custom value for the band gap?

Thanks,

Mark

Anton Driesse

Nov 24, 2020, 3:16:24 PM11/24/20